• Help Support TNDeer:

The tragedy at Pickwick

At this point, I would just like to see all the families and friends get as much "closure" as possible,
asap.
Many of them are staying in motels around Pickwick.

It's now time to stop the water flow thru the dam
for a few hours
so that divers can go into the waters there?

Seems highly likely they will find all three, there
having been trapped in the back-flow, vortex, etc.?

TheLBLman":1xm4985h said:
At this point, I would just like to see all the families and friends get as much "closure" as possible,
Agreed

TheLBLman":1xm4985h said:
for a few hours
TVA is recovering storage capacity as fast as they can in anticipation of the next big rain event. They will continue to do that until May or so when the risk of flooding reduces to some extent. NWS is predicting a significant rain event next week. See below. If the axis shifts a tad south, the TN Valley will get hit hard again.

rDIvftE.gif

Hasn't there has been a lot of storage capacity recovered over the past few days?

Andy S.":cio29ujc said:
TVA is recovering storage capacity as fast as they can in anticipation of the next big rain event.
They will continue to do that until May or so when the risk of flooding reduces to some extent.
NWS is predicting a significant rain event next week.

If the axis shifts a tad south, the TN Valley will get hit hard again.

But right now, there is no ifs, ands, or buts,
these families definitely need to find some closure
in having the bodies of their loved ones recovered.

There is a great window of opportunity today and tomorrow
to send some divers down at the dam.

I drove over Pickwick dam Saturday morning. I made a phone call as I was walking to my boat in yellow creek at 9:11 that morning (I had already dropped it in the water). The dam is 6-7 miles away from the ramp in yellow creek. I stop and got gas there at the gas station close to the ramp. Went in and got food. They said they went over at 8:30. I didnt miss seeing them much at all. Im guessing I went over it around 8:30 - 8:40. When I went over the dam I was looking for boats because I was thinking there is no way I would get close to that dam. There was ONE boat in eye sight of the dam. They were fishing out in front of Pickwick landing state park (the Inn). They weren't 500 yards from the dam but I dont think they were the boat that went over. It looked like two grown men. I dont remember see a third person. Its has left me with a weird feeling to say the least. Prayers for the family.

TheLBLman":2j98mfnq said:
Hasn't there has been a lot of storage capacity recovered over the past few days?

Andy S.":2j98mfnq said:
TVA is recovering storage capacity as fast as they can in anticipation of the next big rain event.
They will continue to do that until May or so when the risk of flooding reduces to some extent.
NWS is predicting a significant rain event next week.

If the axis shifts a tad south, the TN Valley will get hit hard again.

But right now, there is no ifs, ands, or buts,
these families definitely need to find some closure
in having the bodies of their loved ones recovered.

There is a great window of opportunity today and tomorrow
to send some divers down at the dam.

I truly feel for everyone involved and pray for them. But the dams and the rivers they are on are not there for recreation, they are there for flood control and navigation.

Still 160,000 flow today, I see no way it is even close to safe for divers to go looking. This is one that all that can be done is wait.

Andy S.":dcflr0mx said:
TheLBLman":dcflr0mx said:
Agreed

TheLBLman":dcflr0mx said:
for a few hours
TVA is recovering storage capacity as fast as they can in anticipation of the next big rain event. They will continue to do that until May or so when the risk of flooding reduces to some extent. NWS is predicting a significant rain event next week. See below. If the axis shifts a tad south, the TN Valley will get hit hard again.

rDIvftE.gif

Are you implying that TVA would leave the dam running till May? If the bodies are indeed hung up in the vortex, wouldnt TWRA, or whomever, need to keep someone there in the event that a body got washed out? Seems to me they could shut it down for a couple hours, just to be sure.

^^^^No, implying flood control, maximizing storage capacity, and minimizing flood damages will be #1 priority until we're outside of rain/flood season, and a main priority year round.

TheLBLman":1lbcfgyc said:
for a few hours

Water is being released thru every dam on the TN river due to runoff upstream from every dam. The COE can't just "stop the water flow" at a dam under these overall conditions.

Prayers sent for all affected by this horrific event. Hopefully there will be changes in tournament rules to recognize, for the sake of human safety, that it may be best to fish some other day and just go back home today.

Andy S.":39hralka said:
^^^^No, implying flood control, maximizing storage capacity, and minimizing flood damages will be #1 priority until we're outside of rain/flood season, and a main priority year round.

Silly question then, as I don't know the process of opening and closing the gates. Could they perhaps alternate opening and closing different gates to maybe change the currents, and maybe get them out that way? What about just opening the locks and letting water go that way. I'm sure that seems silly, but I'm completely unfamiliar with how they operate.

Headhunter":2rgudo67 said:
The dams and the rivers they are on are not there for recreation, they are there for flood control and navigation.
No one is disagreeing about the primary purpose of these dams.

Headhunter":2rgudo67 said:
Still 160,000 flow today, I see no way it is even close to safe for divers to go looking.
This is one that all that can be done is wait.
Totally disagree!
Shut the damn dam down for a few hours,
send the divers in, either retrieve the bodies,
or rule out their being there.

Some would feel much differently if it were their sons missing in this tragedy?

to be honest, they are probably miles from the dam. the last couple of folks that have went over the were the dam were recovered several miles downstream a day or two later.

the bad thing is all the flooded land mass that theyll have to search. places like white oak bottom would be almost impossible to find someone without air support and then itd be like hunting a needle in a haystack.

WTM":cspnir5d said:
to be honest, they are probably miles from the dam.
the last couple of folks that have went over the were the dam were recovered several miles downstream a day or two later.
Earlier in the week, I thought that as well.
But it's now been over 5 days since these three went over.

With all the resources we have searching for them,
if now seems more likely they may be trapped near the dam?

Not to say they couldn't be hung up under water several miles downstream as well.
But we could rule out whether or not they're trapped near the dam,
and maybe just retrieve their remains there.

Some things are just the way they are. I would be upset and wanting to find my daughter, no doubt, to shut down a major dam when there is so much water and possibly cause millions in damage and more loss of life, nope.

Headhunter":7wu8lmlp said:
to shut down a major dam when there is so much water and possibly cause millions in damage and more loss of life, nope.

Can't shut down just one dam when floodwaters are spilling through the whole system of dams on the river. It truly is a "system" of dams that work in coordination with one another to store and/or release water. By Monday there will be considerably less water spilling thru the system and that will be a great help in search and recovery efforts. However, more rain is on the way and may require opening more floodgates at some point in the week. It's just a terrible situation.

NumberOne":1gsfbi6o said:
I drove over Pickwick dam Saturday morning. I made a phone call as I was walking to my boat in yellow creek at 9:11 that morning (I had already dropped it in the water). The dam is 6-7 miles away from the ramp in yellow creek. I stop and got gas there at the gas station close to the ramp. Went in and got food. They said they went over at 8:30. I didnt miss seeing them much at all. Im guessing I went over it around 8:30 - 8:40. When I went over the dam I was looking for boats because I was thinking there is no way I would get close to that dam. There was ONE boat in eye sight of the dam. They were fishing out in front of Pickwick landing state park (the Inn). They weren't 500 yards from the dam but I dont think they were the boat that went over. It looked like two grown men. I dont remember see a third person. Its has left me with a weird feeling to say the least. Prayers for the family.

Sorry you feel like this. There isn't anything that could have been done in time that likely would have taken more than three lives . Hang in there.

Latest posts

Back