• Help Support TNDeer:

Thermal / NV Question

rhyned

I'm looking to buy a thermal or NV scanner, but I have no idea what I should be looking for. I don't want to spend $3,000 or more on one, but I also don't want to spend $500 on one that is useless. It will be for coyoted hunting. My plan was to use the scanner to locate and track them until they got within shotgun range, then use a kill light. Should I spend the extra money on thermal, or would NV do what I need? Also, are there any recommendations for specific units?

Ahh moonless nights hunting yotes. Good times. Learned a valuable lesson a few years ago about relying on my NV scope alone in the middle of a field. I'm calling and calling when suddenly I start hearing responses and realize I am surrounded. Crazy dark out and all I have is this tiny cone of visibility from the scope. Creepy feeling. Since then I park a truck in the field and post up in the bed of the truck. Eases the mind a bit.

All that said, you get what you pay for on NV. Mine was around $800 and functions fine but there is a MAJOR difference between mine and the one my buddy has that cost $2k. If I had to do it over I'd have doubled what I spent or not bought at all.

Latest posts

Back