Thinking about putting carrying handle on my AR

DaveB

I hated those handles. Still do. Carrying that weapon by the handle is such a casual manner it has always seemed out of place to me.

infoman jr.

I'm thinking about changing out my scope for a carry handle and sight. Should make it more practical.
Practical for what exactly? You aren't going to carry the gun by the carry handle. If you want a simple, rugged iron sight, a Daniel Defense A1.5 would be a better option. A good red dot would be even better.

Omega

Give me a flat top every time, I was so glad when we went to the M4s and were able to remove the handle and sights. I didn't mind the iron sights, but when you put a "handle" on a rifle, then get yelled at for using it like one it gets tiresome. Iron sights, like scopes, are fine when you have time to aim, but there is a reason why the military and even LEO has gone to holo sights, they are much easier to acquire a target rapidly, or to take aim if you have the time.

DaveTN

I'm with the group that doesn't care for the carry handle and that big azz post sight. I won't buy anything anymore that's not a flattop.
Changing out the scope for sights or an optic on a flattop would make more sense for a home defense weapon.

But that's just my opinion. I assume you are posting this for opinions. But if you think it makes it better for you for home defense; that's all that matters.