• Help Support TNDeer:

This looks like a blast!

i bet it is a fisherman's paradise anywhere around there up the coast. i know a guy that lives close to albamerle sound in nc that catches bluecrabs with a chicken neck on a string. dangdest thing ive ever seen.

i bet it is a fisherman's paradise anywhere around there up the coast. i know a guy that lives close to albamerle sound in nc that catches bluecrabs with a chicken neck on a string. dangdest thing ive ever seen.
That made my mouth water. I grew up crabbing on Mobile Bay using kite string, chicken necks and a long handle net on any given pier. Only other way we knew of crabbin were traps or dragging a floating tub during a jubilee. Now THAT'S where it was at. Could fill up 20 to 30 gallons of crab in a few hundred yards. And gig some monster flounder along the way. Fare share of shrimp but I wasn't that good casting the net. But between us and the neighbors, we made lots of gumbo. Nothing went to waist. As Justin Wilson would say, "I gha-rawn-tee" it was the most satisfactory harvest any coastal resident could participate in, and the tastiest. Sorry to take away from the shrimp fest.

My sister and brother-in-law live is SC and he has taken me "shrimping" many times there. I have shrimped the traditional way (dragging a recreational net behind and boat and manually pulling that thing in) many times growing up when we would visit Orange Beach, Ala on vacation. Talk about a work out! So, I was happy to hear he uses cast nets to shrimp with in SC. Well, it turns out to be a work-out too!

They actually do it 2 ways. They will use the bait poles when the "shrimp run" is on (usually Fall I believe). It allows the shrimp to congregate a little more so the cast nets work "faster" (less throws that is). The other way they shrimp is when the run is not on (hotter weather months) and it's called "deep hole shrimping". Those of you with high quality electronics on your boat will like this method. You simply drive around in the bay areas and look for a "hole" in the sea-floor bed. You then cast your net over it. The idea is that the shrimp congregate more in and around these holes during that time. If you can find those holes in or near grass beds, then you will be on the money loads of shrimp. Many times, a good area will hold boats by the dozens and all of them will be throwing these nets. Pretty easy to see what's happening there. Shrimp group back up very quickly when they scatter so multiple boats can be successful in the same area if the shrimp are there.

Like I said though, it turned out to be quite the work out too. You usually have to throw a very large net for a wide cast (large diameter that is) and one that is quite heavy for fast sinking. You throw that thing a few times from a bobbing boat and you will know it. But, if you can throw the "pancakes" they were talking about, then it makes the process much easier with a much higher chance of success. Good luck to all of you wanting to try it! Word of advice though: practice your net casting in the yard. When you have the technique of getting it to open well and make those pancakes, then you are ready. It is a pretty fun and different thing to do the next time you are down there.

Moved to St. Augustine, FL in 2002 from Centerville. The shrimp run each year is a blast. Never saw anyone baiting for 'em before now though. Thanks for the tips.
I've done this in NE Florida as well. It was incredibly fun. We sat on a dock and would throw chum(forget what it was) in the water and throw the cast net every few minutes. I think we filled two five-gallon buckets with shrimp and drank two cases of beer while doing it. I can't think of a better way to spend an evening.

We did tape the edge of our nets to keep them open longer on the sink.

Last edited:
That made my mouth water. I grew up crabbing on Mobile Bay using kite string, chicken necks and a long handle net on any given pier. Only other way we knew of crabbin were traps or dragging a floating tub during a jubilee. Now THAT'S where it was at. Could fill up 20 to 30 gallons of crab in a few hundred yards. And gig some monster flounder along the way. Fare share of shrimp but I wasn't that good casting the net. But between us and the neighbors, we made lots of gumbo. Nothing went to waist. As Justin Wilson would say, "I gha-rawn-tee" it was the most satisfactory harvest any coastal resident could participate in, and the tastiest. Sorry to take away from the shrimp fest.

Kite string and chicken necks is how my dad taught me growing up in Pascagoula. Lot's of fun chasing those blue crabs.

Latest posts

Back