• Help Support TNDeer:

This one is gonna sting

Spurhunter

I was running down the lake Monday at 5300 RPMs when my Johnson 115 died a clanky sounding way. It wouldn't restart. I started investigating today and one of the crank journals was laying in the motor housing when I took the cowl off. It's toast. Boat is a 2002. It needs carpet, seats, and some other cosmetic work. Not sure if putting a new yamaha or honda 115 4 stroke on it makes sense. The equivalent new boat with a 115 would run somewhere around $23k. I have a lot of homework to do in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: This one is gonna sting

Forvols":2ljjd3gd said:
How much is the new 115 4stroke and your estimate on other repairs?
A new Honda or Yamaha 4 stroke 115 is somewhere around $9500. Bass Pro has a new Mercury 2 stroke for $8500. Seats are somewhere around $600. I have NO clue on carpet.

Don't get a new boat, get a good used boat. And don't get a Johnson, get a Merc or a Yamaha. Sorry about what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529":1gzhdqls said:
Don't get a new boat, get a good used boat.

VERY slim chance I would get a new boat. The only reason I am even remotely considering it is I have always sacrificed, bought used stuff, fixed my own stuff, saved for retirement, etc. Now I'm 46, no debt except my house, getting set up well for retirement, and tired of working on stuff. It would be nice to have something brand new with warranty. I'm probably just dreaming though. IF I bought a new boat I think I would want an Xpress with a Yamaha 150. That's $30k msrp, plus upgraded electronics, plus tax, etc. I just can't see blowing that on a toy no matter how much I fish.

catman529":3anik4te said:
And don't get a Johnson, get a Merc or a Yamaha.

Probably won't own another Johnson and I wouldn't have an E-Tec. I would go with Honda or Yamaha for obvious reasons OR Mercury because the best Merc tech on the planet has a shop 10 minutes from my work. I've owned 2 Yamahas and they were absolutely trouble free. I have had good luck with Mercurys as well.

Spurhunter":1j1bswni said:
catman529":1j1bswni said:
And don't get a Johnson, get a Merc or a Yamaha.

Probably won't own another Johnson and I wouldn't have an E-Tec. I would go with Honda or Yamaha for obvious reasons OR Mercury because the best Merc tech on the planet has a shop 10 minutes from my work. I've owned 2 Yamahas and they were absolutely trouble free. I have had good luck with Mercurys as well.
Dont forget suzuki,the commerical fishermen swear by them.My buddy also has one on his boat,good motors.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

I faced this same decision two years ago when my motor blew. I decided to keep the boat because they don't make the Triton Magnum aluminums anymore and put a new motor on it. Instead of a 200 Optimax, I bought a 150 Mercury 4 stroke and absolutely love it. I have no plans to ever go back to a 2 stroke motor. I got mine from Jaco Marine in Lawrenceburg for $10,500 out the door. You call them, make an appointment, drop your boat off around 8 that morning, and you're ready to roll with a new motor by lunch time. I did a lot of research on those motors before I bought and could not find anything bad about them. I was asking the technician there how to break them in and if the same as a 2 stroke. He told me that it was the same as a 2 stroke, but honestly these motors were like tanks, and you couldn't mess them up.

If it were me, there is no way that I could get rid of that boat. I would do my homework and put a new 115 4 stroke on it. I would pick Mercury, but Honda, Suzuki, or Yamaha would be fine. I would consider what dealers that I had close that carry those brands which you said you had a good Mercury guy close. I would also put new seats and carpet in the boat. You would still have money left over for upgraded trolling motor (if needed), electronics (if needed), power poles, etc. instead of buying a new one while still saving money in the end. That is unless you could find a really good used one in good condition for a good price. I still have yet to find an aluminum built like the Triton Magnums which is why I plan on keeping mine for a long time.

Spurhunter":3hrz4kza said:
catman529":3hrz4kza said:
Don't get a new boat, get a good used boat.

VERY slim chance I would get a new boat. The only reason I am even remotely considering it is I have always sacrificed, bought used stuff, fixed my own stuff, saved for retirement, etc. Now I'm 46, no debt except my house, getting set up well for retirement, and tired of working on stuff. It would be nice to have something brand new with warranty. I'm probably just dreaming though. IF I bought a new boat I think I would want an Xpress with a Yamaha 150. That's $30k msrp, plus upgraded electronics, plus tax, etc. I just can't see blowing that on a toy no matter how much I fish.

lol you sound like me. i went ahead and bought a new boat, correction, my wife forced me to buy a new boat and sell the old one. all i went into bass pro to buy was a fishing kayak. i bought a last year model on sale. my wife was trying to get me to buy the 195 and i wish i would have but the 175 works well enough and was $6k cheaper. a buddy bought a G3 this year and its a really nice boat.

a descent used boat would have been great but you never know if you are buying someone elses problems.

good luck on your descision and id say you deserve a new boat.

Spurhunter":15euw1l4 said:
WTM":15euw1l4 said:
Spurhunter":15euw1l4 said:
A descent used boat would have been great but you never know if you are buying someone elses problems.

That is precisely my fear.

What kinda boat do you have now

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Spurhunter":1vbu86aq said:
bluball":1vbu86aq said:
What kinda boat do you have now

2002 Triton Magnum 175. Fishes great. Excellent hull design. Just needs some TLC (and now a motor).

since its that particular boat, id prolly go with a new 90 or 115 yamaha and upgrade the interior. prolly come out better in the end.

Back