• Help Support TNDeer:

Thoughts on deer hunting with a 9MM Carbine?

DaveB

Be interesting to see how this thread ends up.

Not so sure this round is going to kill deer much beyond 20-25 yards. Some basic research I did when my son purchased a Sig P320 was the caliber was not of much use when hunting. Perhaps as a coup de grâce for a wounded/trapped animal, like a pig in a pen, 'yote in a trap.

The carbine barrel length will/should help.

Is it really worth taking a chance wounding a deer with something that little. I still wonder whether or not to take a shot at a deer with my 223. Haven't had the opportunity yet.

To this day, the largest bodied whitetail deer I have ever seen, was killed with a 9mm carbine. Deer was a giant typical 6 on one side and a 20" spike on the other. If he'd matched, I dare say he would've been pushing 170". The deer had to have been 250 lbs+. Not sure about the range, never asked the guy. But he had some kind of 9mm carbine iron sighted gun. He'd shot the deer three times, all in a group about the size of grapefruit all right behind the shoulder and some guys got to picking on him and he said he'd never seen the need for a different gun. If I live to be 100, I'll never forget the body on that deer.

docpoco":d9ijvijk said:
double browtine":d9ijvijk said:
https://youtu.be/_wXFf34bB34

This should provide some insight.

Fantastic. Thank you.

The ammo they are using is 124 Grain @ 340 fpe at the muzzle.

The +P+ that I bought is hot loaded to about 490 fpe at the muzzle.

If you shoot some good expansion hollow points in +P, and keep your shots under 50 yards, I think it would be no problem to kill a deer. Just make sure your in the heart lung area and the deer is broadside. Eric does a good job in his videos!

Back