• Help Support TNDeer:

Thoughts on silver scent elimanating clothes?

stik said:
scent "control" clothing is just another gimmick to separate a hunter from his money.

No words have ever been more true. Scent control is VERY important. The clothing you buy, NOT SQUAT. If a deer is going to smell you, he is going to smell you. There aint nothing you can do about it. Dont smell like a trash man, and have the wind in your favor....thats your best bet

JCDEERMAN said:
stik said:
scent "control" clothing is just another gimmick to separate a hunter from his money.

No words have ever been more true. Scent control is VERY important. The clothing you buy, NOT SQUAT. If a deer is going to smell you, he is going to smell you. There aint nothing you can do about it. Dont smell like a trash man, and have the wind in your favor....thats your best bet

"Other manifestations of scent control have made great strides in technology recently, but if you are not taking advantage of activated carbon technology in your bowhunting clothing, you are missing opportunities at mature bucks. Since we began using Scent-Lok brand clothing in the early nineties, our hunting experience has been transformed; sightings and success have increased dramatically. Anyone who claims activated carbon doesn't work either has ulterior motives, has fallen for the false arguments of people with ulterior motives, or has not used the product correctly. Scent-Lok activated carbon clothing can reduce your scent so much that you become undetectable to the deer you are hunting."

- John and Chris Eberhart, "Bowhunting Whitetails the Eberhart Way", 2011.

Some of you guys will just absolutely love this chapter on scent control -

Scent Control

Anything you can do to help retard the growth of bacteria which in turn create the bad scent we all try to hide, will help a little. The silver stuff is not very high and may actually help some. As for clothing that will totally mask human scent, it simply doesnt exist. I do what I can to stay clean and slow the scent making process down, but the high dollar clothing is not for me. Staying clean and taking regular showers is just a part of daily life for me however. I cant imagine ever missing more than one day without a shower regardless of what Im doing, let alone deer hunting, its just good decent hygiene to stay clean!

Bucks & Beards said:
Those of you who do not pay attention to scent control, do you hunt mature bucks?

I hunt for bucks 3 1/2 years or older. I will say it again....scent CONTROL is EXTREMELY a factor. Scent eliminating CLOTHING couldnt be more of a flaw. I do everything I possibly can for scent CONTROL. I never wear my boots any other place, besides the woods. I wash all my clothes in the cheap non-scent detergent, all the way down to my boxers, socks, etc.... I hang my clothes over 12 hours before I hunt (when I can), and hang them back up when I get out of the woods. Some of my walks are well over a mile. Wearing light clothes on the walk in to reduce sweat is the biggest factor, taking a break when I'm starting to get warm. Wearing only a long sleeve shirt and freezing my butt off the first 200 yards is part of it. But you warm up and are better off in the long run. I usually put my cold weather gear on at the base of my tree or 200 yards from it (depending on that specific location). BUT HAVING THE WIND IN YOUR FAVOR IS YOUR BEST BET. Your not going to fool a deers nose. Maybe early in the season or a yearling, but for bucks 2 1/2 or older, GOOD LUCK. Your not going to hide your scent with doe pee or coon pee or clothing that "doesn't let your scent out", sorry. The hunting industry has successfully sold their products of scent eliminating clothing as scent control.....sorry but this aint hollywood.

Be clean, have the wind in your favor, and be in the right spot at the right time....thats when you have success and all the work you have done pays off

stik said:
Bucks & Beards said:
Those of you who do not pay attention to scent control, do you hunt mature bucks?

not exclusively.
i hunt deer.
That's cool, whatever is legal and gets your thumper thumping and your trigger tripping. I just think scent control is extremely important for mature bucks. One may not buy into the expensive clothing, but in my experience, you've got to play the wind, get high in the tree and be fairly obsessive compulsive about washing clothes, taking showers in scent-free shampoo, caring for boots, etc.

JCDEERMAN said:
Bucks & Beards said:

I hunt for bucks 3 1/2 years or older. I will say it again....scent CONTROL is EXTREMELY a factor. Scent eliminating CLOTHING couldnt be more of a flaw. I do everything I possibly can for scent CONTROL. I never wear my boots any other place, besides the woods. I wash all my clothes in the cheap non-scent detergent, all the way down to my boxers, socks, etc.... I hang my clothes over 12 hours before I hunt (when I can), and hang them back up when I get out of the woods. Some of my walks are well over a mile. Wearing light clothes on the walk in to reduce sweat is the biggest factor, taking a break when I'm starting to get warm. Wearing only a long sleeve shirt and freezing my butt off the first 200 yards is part of it. But you warm up and are better off in the long run. I usually put my cold weather gear on at the base of my tree or 200 yards from it (depending on that specific location). BUT HAVING THE WIND IN YOUR FAVOR IS YOUR BEST BET. Your not going to fool a deers nose. Maybe early in the season or a yearling, but for bucks 2 1/2 or older, GOOD LUCK. Your not going to hide your scent with doe pee or coon pee or clothing that "doesn't let your scent out", sorry. The hunting industry has successfully sold their products of scent eliminating clothing as scent control.....sorry but this aint hollywood.

Be clean, have the wind in your favor, and be in the right spot at the right time....thats when you have success and all the work you have done pays off
x2

JCDEERMAN said:
Bucks & Beards said:

Your opinion on scent reducing clothing is exactly that - it's your opinion. There are knowledgeable, experienced, and incredibly successful hunters who disagree with you based on their real world results in the field with some of these products. Attempting to pass your opinion off as fact requires a lot more information than what you're able to put forth. Nice try, though.

Vermin93 said:
JCDEERMAN said:
Bucks & Beards said:

Your opinion on scent reducing clothing is exactly that - it's your opinion. There are knowledgeable, experienced, and incredibly successful hunters who disagree with you based on their real world results in the field with some of these products. Attempting to pass your opinion off as fact requires a lot more information than what you're able to put forth. Nice try, though.
It is all just opinion. Pro and Con. Keep in mind that many of the "PRO" hunters who gush over their effectiveness are paid to "PRO"mote products. That's how they make their living and afford to hunt on the high dollar properties that allow them to consistently kill big deer.

FWIW, my two hunting buds with the best walls (both have 4-5 deer from west TN that score 130-170") pay zero attention to scent control, other than hunting the wind and only hunting/entering the woods during the most opportune times. They are both 40 years old or less, they spend very little money on leases, they spend zero on scent eliminating clothes/spray/etc, and they both practice trigger restraint. In other words, they have not been blessed with hunting the best leases in west TN for many decades, yet they still have been impressive in the deer woods with some awesome 3.5+ year old bucks to their credit. They are pretty simple in their approach, with proven results.

Great posts lately guys. On both sides of the debate.

I do just as JCDEERMAN talks about in his most recent post and get more and more anal every year. I was my boots every couple weeks even though they are in the field or in a tote. I also have about 4 totes of deer camo packed and ready to go at start of season for different weather. As far as the clothing goes, I would love to have more of it but I don't pay for it. I have a few items I've picked up on sale over the years just bc they are quality garments.

Curious, anyone on here that would claim to have regular success on 3.5 or older deer inside of 50 yards without paying scent/wind any credance?

To be clear, I am not trying to discredit, nor promote the effectiveness of these types of clothing. I have used scent inhibiting clothes in the past, but I choose not to these days. Just a personal preference, nothing more, nothing less. I was only stating there are some deer hunters (most likely many) who get it done regularly without scent eliminating clothing and a vigorous pregame routine. As for my buds mentioned above, one does not bow hunt at all (he has the most impressive wall by far) and the other has killed plenty of older does 3.5+ (several mature, 4.5+) while bow hunting with me and smelling like he is ready to go on a date. I am being serious, he reeks of Dial soap, very noticeable to even my nose. I always make a comment about how fresh and clean he smells (just like dial soap as he is fresh out the shower in the morning before we hit the woods). This is all merely an observation that I thought was worth sharing. Take it for what it is worth.

Even the makers of these scent inhibiting clothes don't claim 100% as they would be foolish to make such a claim. If a deer comes in from down wind and passes through your scent cone, he will smell you and react. Some young deer will be curious, some will avoid you just enough to avoid the scent( ie detour) and a mature buck will vacate quickly. The scent inhibiting clothing plus all the other prep, will lessen the scent but the deer will still smell you and no one can say if a mature buck only catches a little human scent that he will ignore it. Personally, I think ANY human scent will cause him to leave the area or avoid it. In conclusion, less human scent is not ALL human scent. I personally wear the clothing to keep the human scent down so that the cover scent I use is more effective. I found this to be 10 times more effective than trying to be scent free which is impossible. My cover scent is a secret so don't ask.

BowGuy84 said:
Curious, anyone on here that would claim to have regular success on 3.5 or older deer inside of 50 yards without paying scent/wind any credance?
Yes, mainly 3.5+ does during bow season. I know a few deer hunters who fit the bill, including myself. We hunt the wind (we know it is not 100% fail-safe), we plan our approach the best we can (least intrusive as possible), but we do not practice a strict routine like some on here have described over the years. We do not belittle those who put forth this extra effort, we just choose not to (personal preference) based on our experiences in the field over the years. To paint the whole picture, I typically kill 4-5 does each year with a bow, and 1-2 are almost always 3.5+, with a few being 6.5+ like these teeth (two different deer), all shot within 25 yards of the tree.

Old Doe
olddoe.jpg

Old Doe teeth
DSCN1175.jpg

Another doe's teeth (bow kill too)
doeteethtopview.jpg

Last year's doe, 4.5+ per teeth wear
e014bfbf.jpg

As previously stated, we hunt the wind to the best of our ability and it works for us. It may not be the correct way or the most popular approach per others, but it is how we do it, and it seems to work enough that we keep at it. :) My .02

Great deer Andy. Old does can be tougher than old bucks...but you play the wind which was part of my question. Having the wind in your favor is as close to fool proff as anything gets with scent. Especially a decent (5+ mph) wind. It is much more effective than anything else you can do.

Also, from experience around Ames, it is much flater and much more consistent wind than where I also hunt in Hickman co. and certainly more so than mountainous regions.

BowGuy84 said:
Having the wind in your favor is as close to fool proff as anything gets with scent. Especially a decent (5+ mph) wind. It is much more effective than anything else you can do.
I agree. I try to get new hunters to understand this concept and take it to heart and not think they can go purchase the latest and greatest scent stuff, rely solely on it, and defy all odds. As crazy at it sounds to us here, there have been quite a few deer hunters, typically 18-25 years old and fairly new to the sport, who have made that claim to me.

BowGuy84 said:
Also, from experience around Ames, it is much flater and much more consistent wind than where I also hunt in Hickman co. and certainly more so than mountainous regions.
I hunt some hilly area at Ames (elevation 420'-520' with 20'-40' of relief) that does produce swirling winds at times (more so than I prefer), but you are correct, it is a far cry from the hills of Hickman county and not even close to the mountains of east TN and such.

Poser said:
What do you do on days with swirling or complex winds? Do you tend to stay out of the woods if conditions aren't right, or do you have secondary locations to hunt on those days when you don't want to compromise a good stand?
When strictly doe hunting (pretty much all of bow season for me), I may take a gamble and hunt since the consequences (does busting me) are not as serious and long lived as when after a certain buck or say a decent buck in an area. There are always a fair amount of does to pursue so if I booger one up or an area up, I can typically jump to another area that holds does with ease for the most part. Not always, but generally speaking this holds true. Furthermore, I hardly ever (0-5%) bow hunt where I plan to rut hunt in November.

Poser said:
I have a host of secondary locations for that purpose, but, during the pre rut and rut, I have been known to take calculated risks and rely on my carbon suit with regards to wind conditions when I am after a certain buck.
You'll love this. If I am hunting the rut (99% of the time I am after a decent 3.5+ buck, 130" or better) and the wind is not right for a particular stand/area, I have been known to do what I call a bull-sh*t hunt and go to a new area (first time ever stepping in this location) until weather conditions become favorable for the area I want to hunt. This way I am still in the woods, but I am typically in an area I otherwise would not be. Sometimes these hunts are fruitless, but sometimes they are an eye opener for me in more ways than one. I also have some secondary locations like you mentioned that I will give a try if conditions are not right for my stand of choice.

Poser said:
I posted this story back in Dec, where I killed this 3.5 year old in the middle of a bedding area with mostly 0 mph winds, but occasional 2-3 hour drifts. When I shot, 3 deer jumped up from 3 sides of me. I had been in the stand for ~3.5 hours with those deer bedded down within 30 yards of me for most of that time.
I remember that story and that deer. Great deer by the way. There is definitely something to be said for those deer being that close for that amount of time and you remaining undetected until the shot.

Poser said:
Normally, I try not to directly "rely" on these products, but I do on occasions when especially aggressive tactics are in order and it has paid off on more than one occasion. I do not think that these products make great "crutches" but they do make good "fail-safes" if used properly.
I can agree with this. My main gripe is so many (typically newbies) do rely on them as their primary means of remaining undetected when using them as a secondary means is a far better approach in my eyes. I might add that I always tell hunters to do whatever he/she deems necessary to build and maintain confidence, and some times it is things like this that they choose.

Back