• Help Support TNDeer:

TN Nat'l Refuge Quota Hunt Application Available

It would be a blessing if the USFWS would standardize this process and require some of the other refuges (Reelfoot, Hatchie, Chickasaw, Lower Hatchie, etc) to follow suit of the TN NWR and offer everything online, at least as an option to the antiquated postcard process. TN NWR seems to be ahead of the gang in the quota hunt application department and available online resources (brochures, etc). Just a thought.

Don't bother with the Duck River Bottoms or Remainder. The '07 EHD outbreak in combination with several years of "Earn-A-Buck" harvest rules have wiped out those deer populations.

Went there last year on a beautiful cold fall morning. I really did enjoy the river bluffs, the scenery, and saw only one other hunter. Unfortunately I walked quite a few miles in two different places that day and did not see even one deer. There might be a few big bucks there somewhere, but I have no idea if you could find a doe in 3 days. I simply don't know where else I have ever hunted where if you walked far enough in a day you would not see at least one deer in the distance.

TNRAMBLINGMAN said:
Duck River bottoms

Years ago, the Duck River Bottoms and Remainder held not only a lot of deer, but some real whoppers. Then the '07 EHD outbreak really knocked those populations down, while the continued use of Earn-A-Buck harvest rules during the weekend quota hunts darn near knocked the population out. The deer population in that area is only a fraction of what it used to be.

The section of "The Remainder" near my place was absolutely packed with hunters last year during the quota hunts, and from what I gather, in that section, just one doe and no bucks were killed.

Just remember those Refuges are for migratory birds. I've talked to some of the managers before and they HATE deer with a passion.

BSK said:
Just remember those Refuges are for migratory birds. I've talked to some of the managers before and they HATE deer with a passion.
Are you saying the refuges were purchased solely for migratory birds, or are you saying the current TN NWR leadership believes they are only to be utilized for migratory birds today, thus reflected in the types of deer hunts/quotas offered?

The reason I ask is this quote was taken from their website:

"Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge was established on December 28, 1945, by President Harry S. Truman, who signed Executive Order No. 9670, designating the area "for the use of the Department of the Interior as a refuge and wildlife management area for migratory birds and other wildlife." On December 29, 1945, the Department of the Interior and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) entered into agreement with respect to the lands that were to be reserved and used as the wildlife refuge.

Link. http://www.fws.gov/tennesseerefuge/History.htm

Andy S. said:
...designating the area "for the use of the Department of the Interior as a refuge and wildlife management area for migratory birds and other wildlife."

Lets say that the management is very, very interested in the first part of that, and not so interested in the second.

Stop by and talk to the managers some time. I'll let you make up your own mind...

That is what I gathered from your post above and several other posts I have read on here over the last few years. Just making sure I wasn't misinterpreting your post. I wasn't. :) Thanks Bryan.

Here we go again! As a former fish & wildlife service employee, who worked on Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge, let me jump in here.

If memory serves correct, the refuge was established under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act so yes waterfowl and other migratory birds will always come first.

The major problem faced by the National Wildlife Refuge Systems is limited resources (same as TWRA). Over the last ten years or so, vacated staff positions are often left vacant. Refuges are only able to focus on their top priorities. For TN NWR, that means waterfowl.

Now, that being said, I think that criticism of the earn-a-buck program and their mgt of deer and deer hunting on the refuge is fair. But, keep in mind the limitations they face and try to understand where they're coming from.

Beyond that, you can write the refuge manager to ask for earn-a-buck to be eliminated and then your senator and congressman to demand more funding for refuges.

WMAn said:
Refuges are only able to focus on their top priorities. For TN NWR, that means waterfowl.

Now, that being said, I think that criticism of the earn-a-buck program and their mgt of deer and deer hunting on the refuge is fair. But, keep in mind the limitations they face and try to understand where they're coming from.

Honestly WMAn, I'm not complaining. I have no problem with the managers focusing all efforts on waterfowl management on a migratory bird refuge. They wanted deer populations dramatically reduced, and their efforts have been successful. Considering the deer densities throughout the region of the TN River, do we really need a "refuge" for deer?

I was just pointing out to those hunters interested in hunting the Duck River Unit that they shouldn't expect the hunting there to be anything like what it was in the past. Deer densities have been dramatically reduced.

I'm not complaining either, just suprised at the antlerless hunts when the deer population seems to be very low. Of course, I'm only there a couple of times a year so I may be clueless as to how many deer are actually running around. I just know that the deer sightings and the deer sign have bottomed out. But, if the goal is the focus on waterfowl, that's ok. There's plenty of opportunities in the state to kill deer so it's all good. I do know you can't have everything.

I've always found the TNWR people to be very easy to deal with and they have actually made a couple of changes that I suggested. I also agreed with the increase in the cost of the permit to bring in additional revenue. $15 is a small price to pay to support the Refuge system and whether I go or not, I'll gladly pay it every year. It's just soon getting to the point it's not worth the drive for deer, that's all I'm saying.

Tennessee Todd said:
It's just soon getting to the point it's not worth the drive for deer, that's all I'm saying.

Unless a hunter has absolutely no place else to hunt, I agree.

As most on this site know, my place shares a short section of border with "The Remainder." I've had 25 years of experience watching the deer population in that area. The Refuge has gone from one of the best hunting opportunities in the area to one of the worst. If I were looking for a place to hunt, I would look towards gaining permission (or a lease) on the private property surrounding the Refuge rather than hunting the Refuge itself.

Latest posts

Back