• Help Support TNDeer:

tree too small for ladder stand?

pass-thru

I did some scouting last weekend and there's a spot I want to put a ladder stand...but there only trees at the sweet spot where I want to put the stand. I want to put as I a stand as possible, close to 20'. These three trees are white oaks, I estimate 60-80 years old. The area was cut 10 years ago and they were released. Basically they are old, but not large due to large oaks that had over shadowed them. As a result, the are 11-13" at eye level, and not appear to taper down to a smaller diameter until more than 30' up.

These trees are solid. But would they be too small to support a high one man ladder stand? I've never tried to put one on such a small tree.

I suspect they will support a stand, but....

In any type of breeze you WILL get a great deal of sway. If you are at all height sensitive, the movement at 20' will be a little disconcerting. And, it will make it a challenge to shoot when they are swaying.

I've used some pretty small trees before because they were it in the right place. I have a 17' stand in one that size right now from which I have killed a couple of deer. In addition to the normal ratchet strap that ususally attaches at the "edges' of the ladder section, I would add a second ratchet where the "V" hits the tree. That seems to cut down on any wiggle.

Scn is spot on use 2 straps, even then it may wiggle some. But if you get them tight it should be safe.

on one of my old tracts in KY we killed 3 bucks from 143-163"
off a tripod 8' setting between 2 cedar trees in a fence row
you mite tire one

not sure where you hunt, but if possible, try a post . Again, this may not be feasible where you hunt, but I have used posts before, sunk them in the ground about 2-3 feet and attached the stand to it.. A tractor with a post hole digger (auger) works well here, just dig the hole as close to the tree as possible, not so much for support but for cover, then set the post. I have hunted from some small trees before and do not prefer it...if this is not feasible, you may try staking it down like you would a tent. take for stakes and drive them in the ground on each corner and placing straps from the corners of the stand to the stakes in the ground then racheting them tight.

I have gone so far as to add another rachet strap, or two, that go from the side of the ladder to another tree to either, or both, sides of the ladder.

Those trees should be plenty big enough, especially just to lean a ladder stand against! Just strap it top and bottom, as well as a brace to the ladder and you should be good to go!

Latest posts

Back