• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling cranks. how to?

A 2 ounce weight it's mighty heavy… try a couple of bandit 300's without the weight..and a couple with maybe a 3/4 ounce weight.. also.. but a plug retriever.. they will pay for themselves immediately!
How deep will a bandit 300 dive at say 1.5mph?

Precision trolling app
50 + 2 method (google it)
View attachment 242451View attachment 242452
Ooooh I think this might be a solution to snagging the bottom. The rod that got stuck all 5x had 10# braid. The other rod that never got stuck had 25# braid. So even with the same 50+50' the lighter line was running deeper and the heavier one was running shallower than the snap weight chart I was going off of.

Ooooh I think this might be a solution to snagging the bottom. The rod that got stuck all 5x had 10# braid. The other rod that never got stuck had 25# braid. So even with the same 50+50' the lighter line was running deeper and the heavier one was running shallower than the snap weight chart I was going off of.
Also keep in mind that the rod on the bank side will pull to the bottom than the rod on the offshore side even if they're running the same depth, and the depth your fishfinder shows won't match the bottom under either lure

How deep will a bandit 300 dive at say 1.5mph?
IMG_8942.webp
IMG_8943.webp
IMG_8944.webp

Yeah I get ya about complicating things. Have snap weights and one planer board. (not sure where the other one is).
During the walleye spawn at Rock Island, there are a bunch of boats vertical jigging. Then there are a couple old geezers (older than me! ) in an aluminum tiller steer boat just driving around pulling cranks. They usually have a fish or three on the stringer.

Just got back from Lake of the Woods and the guide trolled cranks off downriggers. He liked between 2.0 and 3.0 mph. I thought it was crazy using downriggers in 20' of water but he explained he wanted to know EXACTLY where his bait was.
How did you like LOTW?
Been there several times.
The storms on there are no joke.
That lake will tear you up.

Lake of the woods was interesting and enjoyable. Not super busy at the end of August but there were fleets of ice fishing shacks lined up ready to go. Motels all over the place, and every gas station was also a bait store with a fishing section.
Locals were nice and the guide was excellent. I would like to go back up for an ice fishing weekend during the peak season just to see what it is like.
Guide said they take over 250 people per day out to the ice fishing "town" around 8 am, then do a check about 1030 to see if everyone has enough bait and beer. Then they do a second check after lunch and give everyone a tag for their stringers. Pick everyone up and bring them back to the lodge/motel before dark, clean all the fish, then deliver your bags of cleaned fish to your room. Pretty posh!

Lake of the woods was interesting and enjoyable. Not super busy at the end of August but there were fleets of ice fishing shacks lined up ready to go. Motels all over the place, and every gas station was also a bait store with a fishing section.
Locals were nice and the guide was excellent. I would like to go back up for an ice fishing weekend during the peak season just to see what it is like.
Guide said they take over 250 people per day out to the ice fishing "town" around 8 am, then do a check about 1030 to see if everyone has enough bait and beer. Then they do a second check after lunch and give everyone a tag for their stringers. Pick everyone up and bring them back to the lodge/motel before dark, clean all the fish, then deliver your bags of cleaned fish to your room. Pretty posh!
You will love ice fishing. It's a ton of fun.

Back in high school, late 80's we had a high school teacher that would guide at a resort in Morson on LOTW and started a fishing club. Seminars, casting baits in the gym pool, blah blah
The big perk was a fishing trip to LOTW. $250 for the week,boat,motor gas, meals,……
Now imagine 25 high school boys let loose in the Canadian wilderness.
My dad and brother went the first year. My dad was a chaperone, lol.He had to share a cabin with 10 high schoolers. He had beer in the fridge and the next morning it was emptied out.🤣
The following year, it was my turn. About a mile down a road was an Indian run store. Rumor was if you told them you were 18, they sold you beer.
I was 15, walked up to the register with a case of cold Moosehead. Lady asked how old I was. I said 19. Boom. Bought my first case of beer.
I'm walking down the road and here comes a car that looks familiar. Brakes slam. Crap, it's my dad. I'm 15 holding a case of beer.
"Don't tell your mother!"
And he drove off😳
And made me walk back to the camp🤣
Great memories of LOTW. Took wife and kids there years ago.
Painted rock Island,Dawson Island,Sabaskong Bay,Big Grassy River….
Thanks for the trip down memory lane and a great reminder how much I miss my dad.👍

Great LOTW memories! As a kid, I used to go to a canoe camp near Flag Island. Ice fishing kept us outdoors in the winter and meeting up with other friends. My sister lives right on the Rainey River, now. Her husband knows how to set us up on walleyes no matter what time of year. Sportsman's paradise for fishing and hunting! If you hook a good size sturgeon on light gear, break it off quick or be ready to respool.

Precision trolling app
Dipsey divers
True trips
Mono, braid, fluorocarbon
Lead core
Line counter reels
Downriggers
Planer boards
Fish Hawk speed and temperature
Hummingbird down and side
Kicker motor and steer with trolling motor

Some one said it earlier, Buck Perry's spoonplugs. I used them back in the 70's. Caught lots of fish first learning about deep water structure fishing. Still have some of my original spoonplugs and some I bought last year.

Edit: add braid
Edit: add line counter reels
View attachment 242301View attachment 242302View attachment 242303View attachment 242304View attachment 242305View attachment 242306
My mouth started watering just looking at those!!!!

Instead of dumping my boat for a tiller, I ended up buying a VTS, variable trolling switch for my Yamaha 4 str. 40 hp
Before I couldn't get below 2.8 mph.
Installed this afternoon and just got off the Clinch River to test it.
I'm sold and glad I didn't sell my boat.

IMG_9109.webp
IMG_9110.webp

Latest posts

Back