• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling motor recommendations

TnBob

I'm about to buy a bow mount trolling motor for my Express HD16DB. Wondering about brand name and hand vs foot control. Also 5 speed or variable. The battery compartment only has room for 2 batteries and a gas tank so I guess it will be 12 volt. I haven't bought one in a long time and I'm a little confused by all the options.

ive used Minn Kota my entire (23 years) boat owning life. no complaints, problems or issues. the Edge has a 12v in a 45 thrust/ foot control if i remember right.

I have Ran motor guide and minn kota and liked both and had no issues. I do prefer the controls on the minn kota. I wouldn't get anything less than a 70 pound thrust and foot control. You can get in a lot more casts when you don't have to run the motor with one hand. As far as speeds it's all about what your doing, and it can safe you some battery life. I spider rig and troll so the variable speed is better to match exactly what I need and not cook my battery. If you have room for 2 batteries you can run the 24 volt system. I would buy at the top end of my budget as my trolling motor sees more action than the outboard.
Good luck!!

BlackEagle1":31bglsyd said:
I have Ran motor guide and minn kota and liked both and had no issues. I do prefer the controls on the minn kota. I wouldn't get anything less than a 70 pound thrust and foot control. You can get in a lot more casts when you don't have to run the motor with one hand. As far as speeds it's all about what your doing, and it can safe you some battery life. I spider rig and troll so the variable speed is better to match exactly what I need and not cook my battery. If you have room for 2 batteries you can run the 24 volt system. I would buy at the top end of my budget as my trolling motor sees more action than the outboard.
Good luck!!
I agree with BlackEagle1

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

I've run MotorGuide since the 80's. The worse I've had happen was breaking a $20 steering cable. My new boat has Minn Kota and the dealer didn't sell MotorGuide so instead of having them take it off and have Minn Kota holes in the boat I decided to give it a try. I hate the backwards controls but it seems to be a pretty good motor so far.

My best advice is buy the biggest you can get for 12 volt. Buy one that isn't the 5 speed model but the variable... acts like a rheostat. They give you the best battery life and are the easiest to use.

I'd stay away from the Edge model if I could get the Maxxum model. Like I said earlier, I'm a MotorGuide guy but from what I saw when just was boat shopping is the Edge was the 5 speed and the Maxxum was the variable with a rheostat. That extra power savings will mean a lot on a 12v system vs a 24v system.

I'm not sure they make a Maxxum model in 12v... If they didn't I'd look for another model with the rheostat. Nothing sucks worse than when you're speed dating fish and your battery dies.

No 12 in maxxum . That's why I mentioned the edge. Don't know about MG. I'm like the earlier post, I buy as good as my budget allows. In his case it seems to be a battery/room issue

nitro_z17":etxqv9gd said:
No 12 in maxxum . That's why I mentioned the edge. Don't know about MG. I'm like the earlier post, I buy as good as my budget allows. In his case it seems to be a battery/room issue
It is th room issue. Only room for a tank and 2 batteries.

A 12v 55lb thrust trolling motor should be more than adequate for a 16 ft aluminum boat. I have one on my 16 ft bass tracker. A 5 speed bare bones foot control without any bells and whistles is all you need. I have found that those will last the longest. I lean toward motorguide when it comes to the less expensive bare bones trolling motors.

Adequate is relative. I have a 17 with an 80 lb and I wish it had a 36 volt system but I fish a lot of current. If your just whipping the banks on light wind days you don't need much. The wind can wear a man, motor, and a battery out fast on those light weight rides. I'd like to see the floor plan of this rig.

BlackEagle1":1ifxer8e said:
Adequate is relative. I have a 17 with an 80 lb and I wish it had a 36 volt system but I fish a lot of current. If your just whipping the banks on light wind days you don't need much. The wind can wear a man, motor, and a battery out fast on those light weight rides. I'd like to see the floor plan of this rig.
You can see it on Express boats website. Model HD16DB

Yeah the one on the website has a livewell in the front deck. That's where I have my trolling batteries

BlackEagle1":3olk5c4l said:

I am an old man and in my day when I used to walk to school in 5 feet of snow in my bare feet, the standard trolling motor for a 16 ft aluminum boat was a minn kota 28lb thrust trolling motor. We fished from the time the sun came up until the sun went down. Our bodies were the color of boiled lobsters because real men dont wear sun screen or shirts. So yes, a 55lb thrust trolling motor is adequate for a 16 ft aluminum boat.

JimFromTN":1x0yz8bz said:
BlackEagle1":1x0yz8bz said:

I am an old man and in my day when I used to walk to school in 5 feet of snow in my bare feet, the standard trolling motor for a 16 ft aluminum boat was a minn kota 28lb thrust trolling motor. We fished from the time the sun came up until the sun went down. Our bodies were the color of boiled lobsters because real men dont wear sun screen or shirts. So yes, a 55lb thrust trolling motor is adequate for a 16 ft aluminum boat.

HA HA! You forgot to say it was UPHILL both ways, to school and back!

Latest posts

Back