• Help Support TNDeer:

Trolling motors

Tn Joe

Probably going to upgrade my terrova TM in the near future. I'm leaning towards the ultrex. Any major benefits to the garmin or lowrance? I'm not looking to link any electronics to the TM.

Probably going to upgrade my terrova TM in the near future. I'm leaning towards the ultrex. Any major benefits to the garmin or lowrance? I'm not looking to link any electronics to the TM.
I have a Garmin Force, and for the way I fish and how it is linked to my graphs it is an absolute game changer. But, since you said you won't link it, I would say there's no real advantage. Supposedly the Garmin is more efficient than the others, but unless you are running your batteries down that's not a big deal. Personally I would buy whatever trolling motor had the built in transducer to fit my graph. The transducer is more protected and you don't have external wires to deal with. Also keep in mind, the Force has lift assist, but doesn't self deploy and stow like some of the Minn Kotas. I have zero knowledge on the Ghost.

I had an Ultrex and swapped it out for the Ghost. I love the Ghost. It's quieter (when turning the head) than the Ultrex and retains the "cable steer" feeling.

There's definitely nothing wrong with the Ultrex though. I've heard nothing but good things about the Garmin also.

I see you're in Sumner County. You're welcome to meet me out at Old Hickory one day and check out the Ghost if you want to. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

I had an Ultrex and swapped it out for the Ghost. I love the Ghost. It's quieter (when turning the head) than the Ultrex and retains the "cable steer" feeling.

There's definitely nothing wrong with the Ultrex though. I've heard nothing but good things about the Garmin also.

I see you're in Sumner County. You're welcome to meet me out at Old Hickory one day and check out the Ghost if you want to. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Thanks for the offer TNReb!

I went ahead and ordered a ultrex

Before you buy the Ultrex, go online and look at some of the reviews. Minn Kota has had major issues with the self-deploying tm. When it works, there is nothing better. But, there are a bunch of folks that have had major problems.

Two of my friends have had EXPENSIVE repair issues. One had his motor into the warranty repair four different times for major issues before he gave up and replaced it with a Terrova.

I had planned to buy one, but after hearing about all of the stories where it wouldn't raise back up after being deployed, I went the Terrova route. If I had one, it would be on a quick detach bracket where I could take it off and lay it in the boat WHEN it happened so I could run back to the ramp.

Before you buy the Ultrex, go online and look at some of the reviews. Minn Kota has had major issues with the self-deploying tm. When it works, there is nothing better. But, there are a bunch of folks that have had major problems.

Two of my friends have had EXPENSIVE repair issues. One had his motor into the warranty repair four different times for major issues before he gave up and replaced it with a Terrova.

I had planned to buy one, but after hearing about all of the stories where it wouldn't raise back up after being deployed, I went the Terrova route. If I had one, it would be on a quick detach bracket where I could take it off and lay it in the boat WHEN it happened so I could run back to the ramp.
The ultrex isn't self deployed
It maybe the ulterra your speaking of

The Ghost. Love mine. 97 lbs of thrust at 24 v and 120 lbs at 36 v and you can run the same trolling motor either way.

I had an issue with my motor last year so I fished several times with just the trolling motor. If you look at a map, I was putting in at Elm Hill rec area on Priest and trolling all the way to 7 points, close to 3miles I think, great setting on the trolling motor that you can tell it where to go and it goes there. I would troll over at 85 percent throttle, 17' 3" bass boat with a 150 on the back, 2.8 mph at 85 percent on 24 v and 3.5 mph on 36 v. Get there fish for 4 to 5 hours and troll back.
When I would get home my battery charger would show I still had 75 percent of battery left on each battery.

It has more features than I will ever use.

Latest posts

Back