• Help Support TNDeer:

Trophy Smallmouth on Chicken Breast

rsimms

Yes, it is true. One of my clients captured a 5-pound smallmouth this week. That by itself isn't unusual , except, this big brown fish was caught on a simple piece of chicken breast!

This is the third time in my life I've seen a smallmouth caught on a piece of chicken breast, but the other two were up near the dam, in very fast current. I could easily understand why a smallmouth might mistake a glimpse of chicken in the fast current for a shad drifting by.

But yesterday's smallmouth was captured far downriver (actually in downtown Chattanooga) while we were just slowly dead drifting chicken breast for cats. This big brown fish apparently had been hanging out with the catfish too long and just decided, "I need a piece of dead meat."

You could have knocked me over with a feather. :o

That was just the cap-off of a glorious day catching white bass, catfish, and the kicker smallmouth. Here's a fun little video taste: https://youtu.be/ROaAhoFTnLk

cff_smallmouth_chicken.jpg

This was my 2nd trip with Richard, and once again he didn't disappoint. This time my father in law went with my father and I. Not only did he haul in a great 23 lb blue cat, he hung this beautiful 5lb smallmouth. Another great trip. All I can say is, if you are thinking about goin, stop thinking about it and just do it. We will definitely be back. Thanks again Richard for some great memories. Rage (Robert)

I actually caught a little smallmouth this summer while I was jug fishing at night on an old piece of meat that had been in my freezer for 4 or 5 years! Never seen that before.

Latest posts

Back