• Help Support TNDeer:

Trout Fishing Arkansas

jakeway

My buddy Tom and I just finished our second annual float trip on the Norfolk River near Mountain Home, Arkansas with Jeremy Hunt of Flys and Guides Outfitters (WWW.Flysandguides.com).

He put us on a ton of fish. Friday we didn't even try to count them; today I counted 43 that I myself landed and I lost several more (two broke off 5X leaders). Yesterday was considerable more action; probably well over 100 fish between Tom and I. And we each got our Grand Slam: Brown, Rainbow, Brook, and Cutthroat.

The average size and strength of the fish was amazing. Most were the length of my fingertip to elbow, and several were even longer.

All were caught on 4wt or 5wt with 5X tippet. Most were caught on egg patterns or something called a MegaWorm under indicators.

This is the big fish of the trip:

This is by far the smallest fish. It was the first Brookie we caught so we took its picture. We caught several that were larger, but we were too busy to take more pics:

These are two of the larger Cutthroats:

Here are few of the "average" Browns and Rainbows:

Buzzard Breath":2rap7ko9 said:
Cool! A big white wooly worm.

I think of it as an elongated yarn egg. (We caught quite a few on egg flies, too, after all the MegaWorms got beat up.) The guide calls it a Gut Worm; he thinks the fish think that's what it is. I bet it would be good in winter right at the dam when they have a shad kill.

jakeway":12rfv20p said:
Buzzard Breath":12rfv20p said:
Cool! A big white wooly worm.

I think of it as an elongated yarn egg. (We caught quite a few on egg flies, too, after all the MegaWorms got beat up.) The guide calls it a Gut Worm; he thinks the fish think that's what it is. I bet it would be good in winter right at the dam when they have a shad kill.

That's a white wooly worm tied onto a JIG head hook. Bet you fished that off an indicator as a vertical dead drift. Thanks for providing that.

7mm08":v0w0njn9 said:
That's a white wooly worm tied onto a JIG head hook. Bet you fished that off an indicator as a vertical dead drift. Thanks for providing that.

Yup. In the really still water, I fished it like a drop shot rig next to logs and pockets in the weeds. I let it sink till it hit bottom, then picked up and cast to the next little open spot. It also worked fine drifting in fairly fast current.

woodyard":2pkehrvx said:
Great looking trip!
Anybody have the recipe for those white flies? I have used white wooly buggers, but might try a few of those .

Looks like a hook with a pipe cleaner glued to it to me. :D

Latest posts

Back