• Help Support TNDeer:

turkey load

birddoginQ

had a buddy ask a question i have no answer to. What happens if you shoot a 3" shell through a gun that says 2 3/4 on the barrell. He is shooting a 20 guage and wants to know the best load for turkeys. Not a big turkey hunter so I have no answers. What do yall think.

It probably will not "seat" far enough in the chamber to close the action all the way. I would not do it even if it does.

.44mag said:
It probably will not "seat" far enough in the chamber to close the action all the way. I would not do it even if it does.

It will seat as there is already room for a 2 3/4 shell crimp to expand out.....

Grizzly Johnson said:
.44mag said:

It will seat as there is already room for a 2 3/4 shell crimp to expand out.....

Shows you what I know LOL

.44mag said:
Grizzly Johnson said:
.44mag said:

Shows you what I know LOL

I have just seen it from experience. Had a guy get in the duckblind with us one time. Some ducks flew over and the "visitor" shot a couple rounds. Pulled some shells out of his pocket and loaded them into the gun..... After he left the next person to shoot the shotgun had a cluster in their hands. The shotgun was a 3" gun and the shells the "visitor" loaded from his pocket were 3.5". They shot fine but the receiver slot wasn't long enough to let the longer shells eject out.... so the fired hull and the new shell from the magazine tube were both in the receiver......fun, fun

Years ago, I was on the Shelby County Range at the penal farm and a guy a couple of positions down from me, was shooting an old military rifle. After the second shot or so, he took the brass to the range officer with the comment that the rifle was kicking horribly, and asked him to look at the spent brass. Both cases had suffered head separtion. Small wonder as this genius was firing .303 british rounds in a 7.62 Russian rifle! This attested to the strength of the Russian action, as the bullets were, of course, larger in diameter than the bore!
God looks after those too stupid to look after themselves. lol

Latest posts

Back