• Help Support TNDeer:

USDA Supporting Deer Breeders

Well the regulating of wild animals should not fall under the UDSA at all. And for any commercial hunting places you can have protections in place that they would have to clean up any problems. It can be done with similar means that the different mining industries have to now.

waynesworld said:
Well the regulating of wild animals should not fall under the UDSA at all. And for any commercial hunting places you can have protections in place that they would have to clean up any problems. It can be done with similar means that the different mining industries have to now.

That sounds great, but what do you do when a Shooting preserve has a disease outbreak so they kill all the animals and declare bankruptcy? Who pays then? Even if the state seizes the land for payment toward the clean up, the state still foots the bill for the clean up. That is exactly what happened in Missouri last year. BTW....the CWD prions are extremely hard to destroy, and can infect animals many years later if those animals ingest them from the soil or another vector. So now the state has a piece of land that is worthless that they payed for with tax payer dollars. You cannot force someone to pay when they do not have the money. if you want to see what it costs to clean up an area here is a link to a past discussion on here.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... 544&page=9

I do agree that the USDA needs to stay out of wildlife and stick to domestic livestock we already have.

People are wanting less and less Govt. You can't have it both ways. I agree with you on this being a dangerous situation though. I just don't think USDA has the authority to stop an operation like this. They would be open to a lawsuit.

The way you prevent this is before a company can create a shooting preserve they will have to post a bond. That is similar to what we have to do when we drive, and what a mining company does when it gets permission to mine. The bond is to cover any possible cleanup that may have to be done. It would depend on the size and nature of the company but the TDNR or the federal DNR is the one that would regulate it. I am not for big govt but more effective govt. And while i am for capitalism not everything is for sale.

waynesworld said:
The way you prevent this is before a company can create a shooting preserve they will have to post a bond. That is similar to what we have to do when we drive, and what a mining company does when it gets permission to mine. The bond is to cover any possible cleanup that may have to be done. It would depend on the size and nature of the company but the TDNR or the federal DNR is the one that would regulate it. I am not for big govt but more effective govt. And while i am for capitalism not everything is for sale.

Posting a bond or buying insurance is a good idea. The problem is, how many drivers out there do not have insurance? The legitimate operators are not the ones who will create a problem; it is those who live on the edge (or beyond). History of the business shows there are violators who create a major problem and bail or are just negligent.

The most effective prevention for CWD is prohibiting the translocation of cervids, especially w-t deer. Plus, there's the issue of w-t deer being kept in the public domain, not re-classified as alternative livestock and put under agriculture depts.

Bottom-line here is: we don't need this kind of business and the issues surrounding it, despite some reputable operators.

Back