• Help Support TNDeer:

Vanes really make a difference?

Ladys man

I didn't want to hijack @Rabbitkil thread about vanes/arrows, but I started really tinkering with fletching my own this year. I went with 2.75 TAC I really like the stiffness but how much consistency are ppl seeing out of different vanes using same arrows, same helical, same set up?

I've shot blazers, TAC, AAE (can't remember which model)

Just curious on thoughts? Did groups changes? Speed/noisy? Shooting side by side

I've been shooting standard blazers , DCA mini Sabre and the AAE max stealth out to 80 or so yards and don't see any difference between them I'd say where the difference would be is the big fixed blades

I've tinkered with different vanes, 4 vane, helical vs offset, etc and never did see any difference in flight, speed, or sound. I regularly shoot at 70yds and somewhat regularly at 100yds. Even at those distances there was zero noticeable difference in flight. Lots of experimentation to land right back at square one.

One thing I did learn from it all is that blazers glue the best, if that matters.

Ive tried ever vane, number of vanes, straight, helical, offset you name it. I always come back to balzers with a three degree helical, they all shoot and sound the same to me. That being said i dont shoot the best anyways 😂

Ive tried ever vane, number of vanes, straight, helical, offset you name it. I always come back to balzers with a three degree helical, they all shoot and sound the same to me. That being said i dont shoot the best anyways 😂
Same here, I've tried them all at one point or another and usually wind up with a Blazer and 2 degree left helical. I shoot a LOT and year 'round and compete in 3D and shoot indoor during the winter. With that said I'm apparently not good enough to see a difference with vanes.

Other than color, my choice in vanes usually comes down to shape and size and that depends on I need a certain amount of vane height to steer whatever broadhead I'm shooting but not so much I get clearance issues. So basically I shoot the shortest 2" long vane I can that will still handle my broadhead so I can get more sight housing clearance for 100 yd+ shots. You can go shorter profile with a 4 fletch and not have a chocolate chip cookie vane straight up and get a little more sight clearance.

I always stick with Blazers because there's no prep work, no acetone or prep pens needed or special glue. I cut my arrows, don't clean them anymore and I can just about lick a Blazer and it never comes off.

Back