• Help Support TNDeer:

VX 5HD 3-14x44 ???

mr.big

im having Bugholes rebuild my old A prefix 700 BDL 25-06 and gonna need a scope after Christmas,,i dont know anybody with this scope and havent seen one in a store to inspect or look through,,I have vx3HD 4.5-14 ,is the vx5 3-15 enough better to pay over twice as much for??
i do like the 2 turn cds better than the 1 turn on the vx3

The vx5 has probably the best eye box of any scope I've looked thru. For myself, it was worth every bit of the difference over a 3i, but I'm not sure how the 3HD compares to a 3i. I've since moved on from leupold tho.

I loved my vx5 until it crapped the bed. If it was the first Leupold I had to send back it would be different but I had also sent back a vx6. Both were for tracking and rtz issues.

I have switched everything over to Zeiss v4 for hunting. Zeiss had an engineer from night force help with the erector system design and they are awesome. Other than that nearly all I will use is night force

i'm torn between the VX-5HD 3-15x55 or the Zeiss Conquest 4-16x44. Both are about neck-n-neck on clarity (zeiss mabye a hair better), and eye-relief

I like the leupolds turrets better, as they are lower profile, and i like the leupolds plain duplex reticle better than zeiss' reticles. But I love my Zeiss I have on my 300.

Having typed it out, i think I have made my decision :)

im having Bugholes rebuild my old A prefix 700 BDL 25-06 and gonna need a scope after Christmas,,i dont know anybody with this scope and havent seen one in a store to inspect or look through,,I have vx3HD 4.5-14 ,is the vx5 3-15 enough better to pay over twice as much for??
i do like the 2 turn cds better than the 1 turn on the vx3
big, I don't think the VX-5 is worth twice as much as the 3HD, I had a VX 3i - 4-14X50 on my old 280AI, took it off to put on this VX-6HD that's in the pic, and have since took the 6HD back off putting my old 3i back on my 280AI. A friend of mine has the VX-5 and my old eyes can't tell no difference in it or my 6-HD. I got a 300 yard range behind my shop across a bean field that I keep a strip mowed to the target, got 750 when the crop is out if I need it. In the last 40 years I have had the opportunity to look thru about everything made here and abroad that people has brought over to sight in to take hunting here out West even Africa. There is some fine scopes out there. A bunch of us get together every year when the soybeans start coming up behind my shop and when light is fading in the evening and especially when the deer are at the woods line about dark at 300 yards, it want tell you how good your scope will track or hold up under rough abuse, but it will definitely tell you how good your glass is.

Attachments

• IMG_1682 (1).webp
    IMG_1682 (1).webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 1
They're putting a Bartlien #3 contour stainless barrel on it and gonna cerakote the barreled action and bottom metal in some kind of midnight blue that is supposed to mimick the old blueing of the BDL rifles,, if I could find an old VXIII 4.5-14x40 in gloss finish I would be happy with that but they are hard to find that aren't beat to hell
I've got NF and Sightron optics on my main match rifles and 40x Leupolds on a couple others , all my hunting rifles have Leupold optics except 1 Ziess Conquest

Any of them can fail, my 15-55 NF Comp scope went haywire at a match a couple years ago and was moving poi almost an inch at 100 yards on a rifle that will shoot in the high zeros to low .1s ,, I sent it back and they said nothing was wrong with it but when I got it back it worked flawlessly. Whatever as long as it works.

They're putting a Bartlien #3 contour stainless barrel on it and gonna cerakote the barreled action and bottom metal in some kind of midnight blue that is supposed to mimick the old blueing of the BDL rifles,, if I could find an old VXIII 4.5-14x40 in gloss finish I would be happy with that but they are hard to find that aren't beat to hell
I've got NF and Sightron optics on my main match rifles and 40x Leupolds on a couple others , all my hunting rifles have Leupold optics except 1 Ziess Conquest

Any of them can fail, my 15-55 NF Comp scope went haywire at a match a couple years ago and was moving poi almost an inch at 100 yards on a rifle that will shoot in the high zeros to low .1s ,, I sent it back and they said nothing was wrong with it but when I got it back it worked flawlessly. Whatever as long as it works.
Is Bugholes doing the cerakote? I have a rifle that needs rebluing and would love to have that old bluing look. Mine is a Remington 760.

Back