• Help Support TNDeer:

Water, gas DON'T mix

7mm08

WateryGas002.jpg

I picked up water in my gas for my boat and Tahoe during a trip to SC a few weeks back. To make a long story short it basically ruined my fishing trip, and when we started back up Saluda Mt. the Tahoe's fuel pick up is in the rear and cut out midway up the mountain.

Both are fine now except for my Yamaha V4 130 hp (2cycle). If you can get it started it runs great. It will start after it's cut off, but cold starting is a problem. The hand fuel pump just keeps pumping and does not tighten. Anybody got any ideas? Trash from the bad fuel sticking the needle valve open, therefore the bowls are not filling up and staying up?

Does anybody know someone in the K'town area that is good with Yamahas?

Thanks

Water is the hardest thing to get out of boat gas tank even if you drained all out still cant get it all . On mine I drained all I could out removed all drain plug on carb's added a water separator with removable catch added new gas flushed the line and carbs threw drain s on carb then would empty catch after every trip until all cleared up

Does your boat have a fuel water separator? If so, drain and inspect. If not, got to first filter on fuel line, under the cowling and see if the float is up? It should be attached to an alarm that sounds(only at idle). You can remove the filter housing and pour the contents in a clear glass to see how much water is in it.

How much did you run the boat with the bad gas? Your VST filter may need replaced.

As for the primer ball, disconnect your fuel line and pump it and see if gas through it.

Does your boat have a fuel water separator? If so, drain and inspect. If not, got to first filter on fuel line, under the cowling and see if the float is up? It should be attached to an alarm that sounds(only at idle). You can remove the filter housing and pour the contents in a clear glass to see how much water is in it.

How much did you run the boat with the bad gas? Your VST filter may need replaced.

As for the primer ball, disconnect your fuel line and pump it and see if gas through it.
This is and old story with a great ending.
A….. I put gas in my boat and truck somewhere on 1-26 that day
B….. My boat ran like crap the few days I took it to Fripp so I gave up and parked it
C….. Hauling it back home to Knoxville on Saluda Mt ( 45 degrees) my Tahoe gave out. Eventually had it hauled back to Knoxville. Water in that tank
D…… got to trying to drain the gas and all I got was about a 1/2 gal out of a 40 gal tank! So somewhere somebody at Fripp in the marina lot stole my gas but they probably screwed up their boat or car!!
E……found a great Yamaha mechanic after that in Knoxville. Louisville Marine and use them until today!

Sold that old Key West boat for right at what put into it and have a Scout 201 now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back