• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots We have rice!!!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Success! We have rice and it's finishing before a killing frost. Certainly has been an education and wow this stuff loves nitrogen!! I drilled at 3 different levels and clearly rice likes to be dense. The best is planted at 110 lbs per acre. The less dense areas at 95 lbs and 75 lbs suffered from competition, more spraying and shorter stems due to more sunlight. Did I say this stuff loves nitrogen?!
IMG_3373.webp

IMG_3376.webp

Certainly a first for me, maybe for Stewart county. Once I learned how to manage the water it became much easier. After it's 8 inches tall, flood it but you really need a level hole. This hole is 8 acres (6 in rice) graded to drain to one corner. 6 inches fall over 600 ft south to north and 6 inches fall over 1000 ft west to East so NE corner is 12 inches below the SW corner, just gotta keep the tops out of the water.

Rice seems to be one of the more difficult crops to produce a good stand. And everyone in my area seems to be trying to grow it.

Fine by me. Get the hunters out of the woods and into the duck blinds. That means more, less pressured deer for me!

Rice seems to be one of the more difficult crops to produce a good stand. And everyone in my area seems to be trying to grow it.

Fine by me. Get the hunters out of the woods and into the duck blinds. That means more, less pressured deer for me!
The ability to flood the ground is invaluable for both weed and insect control. In sandy soil where nutrients leach really bad the ability to periodically fertilize is a big plus

Latest posts

Back