• Help Support TNDeer:

Well poop

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Standing in the garage yesterday talking on the phone and happened to notice some grease on the wheel of my boat trailer.
Looked again and noticed my bearing buddy was gone. :bash:
The last time I lost one (two actually) was when I put new hubs in and didn't go back and tighten the castle nut soon enough after running the trailer and the bearings fully seated.

I am wondering if this has happened because of getting a flat and ruining a wheel during duck season.

Guess I will jack it up this afternoon and check it out and see what's what.
Hopefully worst case it will just be a bearing replacement.
Normally keep a couple extra sets of bearings but all I have extra right now is some bearing buddies.

I'm just glad I noticed it before I ended up stranded on the side of the road.

I hate trailer wheels and hubs. They work fine setting in the boneyard. Problems the rest of the time. Either a low tire, leaking grease, losing grease caps or blowing out . I have had my share of problems with springs and hangers also and a few axles.

Just about like trailer lights.

Matter of fact I don't like trailers and I got em setting around everywhere. :lol:

I had one that would lose bearing buddies. I took some shim stock and put around them, never lost anymore. To clarify, I put it around base to tighten it up when driven in.

Well I checked it out yesterday.
The hub on that side has been on the trailer for about 5 years now.
I jacked it up and spun the tire and it sounded fine.
Took the key out and turned the castle nut three "notches" by hand. Then took a punch and hammer and lightly tapped it and moved it two more notches. Not sure what was up with that.
Anyway, spun the wheel again and it sounded fine so I packed some grease in the hub then put a new bearing buddy in and called it good.

All I can figure is when I drug the bare wheel down the highway during duck season it vibrated the bearing buddy enough to work it loose then it finally just fell out.

We will see.

Back