• Help Support TNDeer:

What am I doing wrong? (Modified Case & CBTO)

Something ain't right. Take your calipers and measure the inside of the case neck. It should be .309 or so. Also measure the outside of the bullets. They should be .308. The bullet should slip in and out easily. Next insert the comparator with a bullet and the push rod loose. Take a cleaning rod with no jag and insert in the barrel until it touches the bullet. Use the cleaning rod and the push rod to feel the bullet against the lands. Go back and forth until you feel where it's touching. Tighten the screw and remove and measure. Do this several times until you get the same measurement. That's your touch point.
I agree that something isn't right. I didn't measure the 30 cals, but I checked them and the other calibers. The 6.5 and .277 were correct, but the 308 was not, and I used multiple bullets (hornady, nosler, and barnes) to verify that wasn't the cause.

I agree that something isn't right. I didn't measure the 30 cals, but I checked them and the other calibers. The 6.5 and .277 were correct, but the 308 was not, and I used multiple bullets (hornady, nosler, and barnes) to verify that wasn't the cause.
It's strangely reassuring that I'm not alone in this. My guess that it's their die at Hornady factory.

Seems like a whole lot of hoopla over a case neck that can be easily loosened.
But, when a product is bought from a vendor it is expected to be functional for the use it was designed/sold for. I suspect that Hornady is getting word from the field, about what must be an out of spec case, from a lot of folks.

UPDATE: Hornady replied and said they were sending a new Modified .308 case. Here is what their email stated:

"Thanks for reaching out. We are aware of this issue; we had some modified cases appear to be sized before they were sent out to retailers. I'm happy to send you a new 308 win modified case if that would be okay with you."

Thank you to everyone who helped out with this issue and lent a helping hand to my confused self. Genuinely so thankful for this Forum. Y'all have gifted me with knowledge not just with this problem, but others as well in the past and gifted me some friendship in an unlikely place. Pre'ciate ya!

Be interested in the final resolution(s).

1. They sending one case or replacing all of them?
2. How long for you to get the replacement(s)?

And---not expecting Hornady to own up beyond the mea culpa already stated--but how did such an error occur? To me this kind of an issue is really interesting. Long time ago I acquired 200 Hornady "seconds". In fact, about 10% had off-center and oblong flash holes. Not cosmetic IMHO. I never loaded a single one and have not used Hornady brass since.

Be interested in the final resolution(s).

1. They sending one case or replacing all of them?
2. How long for you to get the replacement(s)?

And---not expecting Hornady to own up beyond the mea culpa already stated--but how did such an error occur? To me this kind of an issue is really interesting. Long time ago I acquired 200 Hornady "seconds". In fact, about 10% had off-center and oblong flash holes. Not cosmetic IMHO. I never loaded a single one and have not used Hornady brass since.
I'll update when I receive the case.

hornady likely won't really say anything or how far reaching this issue goes, but it's always interesting what gets sent to American Reloading, midway, Midsouth, etc as far as BLEM products.

Latest posts

Back