• Help Support TNDeer:

What are your limits?

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
This time of year, what conditions will you not fish in? Cold, wind, current or just dirty water? I cant seem to get less than three of them at a time. Current and dirty water tend to be my greatest foes.

Cold don't stop me. Lowest temp I have been on KY lake was 17 degrees when I got there with whitecaps . It was't too much higher in 20s when I left that afternoon. In AR one time it was about 15 degrees, one morning , after a few hours we had to go to town to get fishing buddy more clothes.

Used to, I wouldn't fish if wind was over 25. Now I usually will not go if it is going to be over 10-12 out of a direction I don't want. Mellowing up in my old age. May change that this spring.

Muddy water only affects me on the White River in AR which means i might change locations on it. High water there might mean flood conditions which I have fished in before, but probably will not do now days. Have fished in pouring rain all day long a several times over there since I made the trip. Usually don't go locally if more than showers.

Yes. I am crazy, I retired from the Postal Service.

Wind! The wind will drive me inside for sure. I fish from a kayak and the wind just blows me around. Even if I'm just fishing from a bank or wade fishing, the wind will get on my nerves; it's hard to cast in the wind.

As for the cold, I don't kayak when it's cold. But I've been wade fishing in the cold. I wade fish every November at the White River, and the cold doesn't bother me. I've waded in the Spring River and Red River in Arkansas when it was in the 30s. Just gotta be careful not to fall in the water!

Forgot about this. Old Hickory can be bad about those.
Old Hickory is dangerous after a good rain. Aggravating.

As long as the temps is above 30 I'll fish as long as it isn't raining. I have zero desire to fish in the rain when it's cold. I don't even like fishing in the rain when it's warm for that matter. It's just aggravating.

My hands get too cold when it's below 30. Fingers are numb after just a few minutes.

I HATE high winds. Winds that effect where and how I can fish. Cold doesn't bother me too much until I'm having to dip my whole rod in the water to be able to make another cast. I have learned around 40 is the bottom of my comfort zone if the wind is going to blow. My hands are the only thing that slows me down. I can't fish with gloves on.
On Ky lake for me if the current gets rolling the fish are fairly easy to locate (some days lol) so I don't mind the current.

Wind, wind, and wind. Cold temps, dirty water, and current don't bother me. Wind will keep me home. But that's not just in winter. I hate too much wind anytime.
Especially in my lil Tracker with a smallish trolling motor. Forget the effects on me. I can layer but when I can only fish a couple hours before the battery is drained it isn't worth it to me. Takes me at least 2 hrs to hook up the boat and get to where I like to fish. That means 4 hrs total of prep/unloading for two hours of fishing. Unless I'm pullin in state records, hard pass. May even end up sellin that Tracker this year. Just don't get to go as much as I'd like to justify keeping it. Archery has sort of taken over everything the last few years.

Wind then muddy water then high water but mostly wind.

Cold don't bother me.

I fished for Steelhead on the Olympic Peninsula when I lived there in the early eighties.
At the time, it was estimated that you caught a Steelhead for every 120 hours that you fished.
Cold and rain every. day. LoL

Latest posts

Back