• Help Support TNDeer:

what caliber?

ShamrockIV

i am thinking of having gunsmith that i use build me a rifle.
what caliber would u use?
i really just want something fairly accurate to mid ranges.
i have a tc encore in 25-06 snd love the round.
would u use it or something else? 30-06? 260? 270? etc

thanks for ur input

.257 bullet selection SUCKS,,when I build it will be a 6.5 or 7mm bore,,either on a 284 Win case,30-06 case or the RSAUM case,,

if I had the money today it would be between the straight 284 Win shooting 180 Bergers,,and the 6.5 Creedmore shooting 142 Sierra`s

.243win with a fast twist barrel to shoot the heavies. Easy on the shoulder, multiple bullet selections and plenty of factory ammo if you don't reload. Great from 100 to 1000 yds.

ShamrockIV said:
rdl65 said:
.243win with a fast twist barrel to shoot the heavies. Easy on the shoulder, multiple bullet selections and plenty of factory ammo if you don't reload. Great from 100 to 1000 yds.

i do like a 243. what twist to shoot heavies?

A 1/8 twist Bartlein 5R is what my I choose for the rifle I'm having built. This will stabilize the 105-107 range of bullets. But if you want to go with the 115 DTAC I think they recommend 1/7.5

Y'all are talking foreign to me with these 6.5x 284 but I'm interested in learning.

If I had my druthers right now based on my knowledge I'd pic either the 280 rem, or 264 win mag.

Note: My deer rifle is a 25-06 and I've killed a boat load out to 350. I love the trajectory but whant one that is throwing something a little bigger than the 115 pill I'm currently using.

Stovepipe said:
ShamrockIV said:
anybody have any issues with the old 30-06?

great bullet selection
any benefits over 308?
why would you employ a smith to build a 30/06? You can trip over those left and right at any big box, or gunshop or gun broker.

heck,I thought you wanted something cool.

Just like Chevy with 350 small block, heck everybody has one of those, why bother. :D

oh well, don't ask me...I'm the geek up the street with the Mopars and Savage rifles.

true. really interested in the 284 now

If you want to throw something bigger, through something quite a bit bigger. You're just looking for medium range right?

.358 Winchester, build it on a long action to take advantage of long bullets with no short mag box limitations.

My second choice would be .338/06, plenty big enough pill without the magnum recoil.

.350 Remington Magnum built on a long action/beefy rifle would be fun as well.

ive had a 284 win on the back burner for a few years now. it would strictly be a BR gun but would that caliber would definately make an all around deer rifle.

if i get drawed for the TN elk hunt before i die, i will have a 338/06 but it wouldnt be too much for deer either with the right load.

I have a 260 and a 25-06. I love'em both, but the 25 would be my go to gun...

I have a buddy that had a 6.5x47 Lapua built and got it bout the middle of december and he absolutely loves it. He calls it the "doe buster". I'm not too knoledgeable about rifles, but to me, it looks very similar to the 260.

Latest posts

Back