• Help Support TNDeer:

What can you bait with specifically?

gondo said:
...if the pressure picks up on the public land im hunting...
Just call and ask the TWRA area manager or the district office as to what they would allow. I'm under the impression that you need to get their permission to put out anything on public land anyways. Just remember that if you use something that is not permitted, they may close down the area and you will ruin it for a whole lot of us public land hunters.

Just an FYI from another hunter who likes his public land. When I'm scouting, I look for trophy rocks, salt licks, cameras, etc. They are always good spots to hit on weekdays to kill a doe or two. I just let someone else spend their money and do all the work.

buzz mcmanus said:
gondo said:
Just call and ask the TWRA area manager or the district office as to what they would allow. I'm under the impression that you need to get their permission to put out anything on public land anyways. Just remember that if you use something that is not permitted, they may close down the area and you will ruin it for a whole lot of us public land hunters.

Just an FYI from another hunter who likes his public land. When I'm scouting, I look for trophy rocks, salt licks, cameras, etc. They are always good spots to hit on weekdays to kill a doe or two. I just let someone else spend their money and do all the work.
I was thinking you have to have the wma managers approval to put anything out or its not legal.Wheres stik when you need him? :D

timberjack86 said:
buzz mcmanus said:
gondo said:

I was thinking you have to have the wma managers approval to put anything out or its not legal.Wheres stik when you need him? :D

Shows what I know (nothing apparently), it appears no bait or cams could be put out without permission, not even if it is all gone ten days before hunting, from an Area Manager and probably be better off asking permission for minerals too!

I have seen several of these products that you can hunt over that are legal, that never bring a deer in.... The best thing to do is put a little work in and find the best place deer come through during hunting hours....

How about a camera to help give a clue.... :)

gator-n-buck said:
I have seen several of these products that you can hunt over that are legal, that never bring a deer in.... The best thing to do is put a little work in and find the best place deer come through during hunting hours....

On a WMA, no personal property, including treestands, may be left out unattended for more than 24 hours without the approval of the Area Manager. That pretty much nixes the cameras unless you take them up every 23 hours or have approval of the Area Manager.

scn said:
gator-n-buck said:

On a WMA, no personal property, including treestands, may be left out unattended for more than 24 hours without the approval of the Area Manager. That pretty much nixes the cameras unless you take them up every 23 hours or have approval of the Area Manager.

Did I miss something in the orginal post? I didn't see where it mentioned WMA's? I don't hunt draw hunts (WMA's) much anymore since it depends on some luck and hunters walking in on you.... I guess I must of missed something on the orginal post about WMA's?

gator-n-buck said:
scn said:
gator-n-buck said:

Did I miss something in the orginal post? I didn't see where it mentioned WMA's? I don't hunt draw hunts (WMA's) much anymore since it depends on some luck and hunters walking in on you.... I guess I must of missed something on the orginal post about WMA's?

On down the thread he mentioned public land in a later post. I knew WMA because we exchanged some PMs this evening.

Some of our regulations are not black and white, and some are contained in some regs where the content isn't real noticeable by the title.

No harm, no foul on his part. I appreciate questions to clarify rather than ignoring and hoping the "I didn't know that" defense might work if actually caught.

It wouldn't surprise me that we have trail cams out right now on every WMA in the state.

scn said:
gator-n-buck said:
scn said:
gator-n-buck said:

On down the thread he mentioned public land in a later post. I knew WMA because we exchanged some PMs this evening.

Some of our regulations are not black and white, and some are contained in some regs where the content isn't real noticeable by the title.

No harm, no foul on his part. I appreciate questions to clarify rather than ignoring and hoping the "I didn't know that" defense might work if actually caught.

It wouldn't surprise me that we have trail cams out right now on every WMA in the state.

Sorry about that, I only read the orginal post and gave my answer. Been busy trying to give the bashers a little education on the real world.... :)

scn said:
gator-n-buck said:
scn said:
gator-n-buck said:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse!

Master Chief said:
scn said:
gator-n-buck said:
scn said:
gator-n-buck said:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse!

Legally you are 100% correct.

However, officers using discretion and educating rather than prosecuting can also be part of the equation.

Have a great day.

SCN I was wondering from what i read you have to remove your stand unless you have approval is it easy to get approval to put a stand up for a weekend or week? or when you hunt WMA do you just use climbers I have some ladder stands I want to take my girls to try hunting but they are too big to carry in and out daily?

waynesworld said:
SCN I was wondering from what i read you have to remove your stand unless you have approval is it easy to get approval to put a stand up for a weekend or week? or when you hunt WMA do you just use climbers I have some ladder stands I want to take my girls to try hunting but they are too big to carry in and out daily?

The regulation says it can't be on the WMA unattended for more than 24 hours without the approval of the Area Manager. One of the intents of the regulation is to keep people from "staking out claims" to specific spots by putting up a treestand and expecting other ethical hunters to steer clear of that specific location. It requires approval to do otherwise, and I don't have any knowledge on how our Managers handle that.

If you are hunting out of the stand every day, then the unattended 24 hour part would not apply. However, it would not be legal to put up the stand several days before you hunt and leave it unattended without the Area Manager approval.

You can get the phone number for the Area Manager out of the Hunting Guide or by calling the regional office where the WMA is located.

scn said:
waynesworld said:

The regulation says it can't be on the WMA unattended for more than 24 hours without the approval of the Area Manager. One of the intents of the regulation is to keep people from "staking out claims" to specific spots by putting up a treestand and expecting other ethical hunters to steer clear of that specific location. It requires approval to do otherwise, and I don't have any knowledge on how our Managers handle that.

If you are hunting out of the stand every day, then the unattended 24 hour part would not apply. However, it would not be legal to put up the stand several days before you hunt and leave it unattended without the Area Manager approval.

You can get the phone number for the Area Manager out of the Hunting Guide or by calling the regional office where the WMA is located.
I got done that way last year.I was hunting aedc on the third day of the hunt and decide to try one of my old favorite spots. There were no vehicles in the area so I slipped into my spot. After daylight I notice a scrape dripper hung up about 30 yards from me. Then shortly after this guys comes in behind me and hollers at me saying he has a stand behind me. I turn around and see the stand,A 16 ft ladder and a small hang on stand. He says he has been hunting There since friday and would like to use his stand that morning. I did what I felt was right and left even though I was there first and already set up. I wish I would have known about this law and I could have informed him a little!

Yep I belive the guy was too lazy to find another spot. moveing on I found a good area about a half mile away. I found some sign set up and saw 5 deer that day. I saw 2 young fawns and threes does running for there life. I am conviced another day or two in that area could have produced a good buck.

Latest posts

Back