• Help Support TNDeer:

what is the best slate call for the money?

For all those that love the inexpensive plastic pot calls. I urge you sometime to stash some cash and buy a quality custom call. You won't believe the difference in not only how it sounds, but how many more birds will respond to it. I used to swear it didn't matter then 15 years ago I met Mike Pentecost of Woodhaven, he gave me an aluminum friction and I swear it changed the game dramatically. There is just no comparison between high quality custom calls made of quality materials and production calls made with plastic and little if any attention to tuning or details. JMHO.

Setterman said:
For all those that love the inexpensive plastic pot calls. I urge you sometime to stash some cash and buy a quality custom call. You won't believe the difference in not only how it sounds, but how many more birds will respond to it. I used to swear it didn't matter then 15 years ago I met Mike Pentecost of Woodhaven, he gave me an aluminum friction and I swear it changed the game dramatically. There is just no comparison between high quality custom calls made of quality materials and production calls made with plastic and little if any attention to tuning or details. JMHO.

i agree 100%. all i use C.D. Corder Custom calls, and it is no contest.

I just received this Custom call as a gift this weekend. I guided a fellow from Indiana on a turkey hunt and he presented me with this call the first morning in the blind. :D

I'm having fun playing some tunes, but my wife and girls are threatening to kick me out of the house! :D :D :D

RiP Custom Calls, by Ryan Phillips (Ky).
TurkeyCustomRiPCall003.jpg

TurkeyCustomRiPCall002.jpg

TurkeyCustomRiPCall001.jpg

I have no idea of the cost?

I have several "custom" type pot calls and then I have a primos "old betsy" plastic pot slate. At 6:45 am, when I scratch out a few tree yelps and clucks, their is nobody readin this post that would be able to tell the difference. Besides, it's more about what you say and when to say it, than how it sounds. Worst sounds I've ever heard came from live turkeys. You don't need high priced calls to kill turkeys consistently, you just need to learn to sound decent on the one's you can afford. Those aluminun and glass surfaces do reach out and touch though.

tcchamp said:
Setterman said:

i agree 100%. all i use C.D. Corder Custom calls, and it is no contest.

I have learned this early on now!

i agree 100%. i have an old quaker boy plastic pot glass call that has called a bunch of turkeys in the last 15 years. i do use box calls more nowadays though, although they are not custom, they get the job done too. those custom rigs do sound nice though and are easy to get a good sound.

Latest posts

Back