• Help Support TNDeer:

What is the etiquette

on public land no spots are taken until someone physically occupies them. that being said, unless i am confident deer are still trafficking that particular spot i move on when i find a camera because the spots likely already getting pressured and i figure my odds are better elsewhere and i figure if i play the wind right and that hunter comes along they may bump deer right to me.

It's not taken unless you hear a whistle or see a light. Cameras are everywhere and if you let that limit you, you might as well stay home.
I agree; same goes for tree stands already in place.

I'd scout other areas but if that area ends up looking the best to me, I'd make it or nearby my #1 option. I always have other spots picked out in case my preferred spot is taken when I arrive.

Years ago at Catoosa, I went to a spot the day before my quota hunt. There was an older guy from Morgan county parked in a white Jeep. We spoke, and he asked me which way I was going. I told him straight out the road, and to the right, looking for a spot to hang my stand. He said, 'I already have 2 stands down there.'
So, I told him I'd go out that way and take a left instead- he said he already had 2 stands down there.
So then I told him I'd just go straight across from the parking area, and check down there- he said I already have a stand down there also.
😜 I told him I'd find somewheres where we'd be far enough apart. I didn't believe him about having all those stands out, but after he left I went and checked. Sure enough, ole boy had 6 stands setup all around that whole area. I hunted it one morning, didn't see anything and just figures he'd boogered it up with all that mess.

But to answer your question, as posted- the camera in no way reserves that spot as 'theirs'.

Matter of fact, most WMA's have regs in place that prohibit property to be left unattended for more than 24 hours without permission from the area manager.

Like someone else said, you may want to try and hunt the deer that could be bypassing the other guy's setup. Cut-throat, maybe- but that's how it works in public land most of the time.

If you're the first one in the designated parking area….. put a box of 50 BMG on your dash or in the seat. People are nosy if they think you're hunting with that they'll leave. Yes it seems to work. Make it better by opening box with a couple shells missing.
Why stop there? It's Halloween decor season. Grab a fake skull prop, throw a lil fake blood stain on it, knock a hole in it. Hunting spot to yourself for years! 🤣

Back