• Help Support TNDeer:

What is your worst rifle you ever owned?

A military surplus, sporterized Italian 6.5 Carcano....this was in the late 1980's and I was a teenager, just starting to deer hunt....I saw it at a pawn shop bought it for about $50.00...I even bought reloading dies for it since shells were expensive, and really almost impossible, to find. It was so shot out that at 50 yards the bullets were hitting the targets sideways!!! Thankfully, it got stolen! Haha
I bought one from a police auction in Jamestown when I was a kid for like $25. This was early 90s. I think a box of shells were twice that. I think I ended up throwing it out at the dump, never fired it.

I borrowed a remington 770 in .243. Its a budget rifle but worked well enough for me to kill a few deer. The barrel is accurate and consistent and the trigger and safety aren't great but are reliable. I'm not above using one, and it of course better with upgraded glass.

However, it has the worst feeling bolt I've ever felt. It's sloppy loose and sticky at the same time. Almost like you when you keep cross threading a really loose then really tight bolt. No amount of oil, cleaning or working it back and forth helped.

I had one in 270, until the handle sheared of the bolt and the bolt cam sliding down the side of my cheek
The same thing used to happen with the Rem. 788 sometimes. I could have bought a .243 Model 788 for a really good deal years ago. I was just stupid and didn't do it. I'm sure it could've been rewelded or another bolt handle put on.

Latest posts

Back