• Help Support TNDeer:

What's with all the drums?

While we are on the topic, here is the fish that McDonald's uses to make their filet o fish. Called a Hoki fish.

1722446764241.webp

NO! I marinated them in cajun spices and then cooked it on a gas grill to medium.

We made tacos and they were honestly great.
We can politely agree to disagree. My opinion is that if you have to marinate a saltwater fish to make it edible, it wasn't worth keeping. Too many other delicious fish to waste time on a bonita.

Heck even the sharks don't want to eat them when there are blackfins around

We can politely agree to disagree. My opinion is that if you have to marinate a saltwater fish to make it edible, it wasn't worth keeping. Too many other delicious fish to waste time on a bonita.

Yep. To be clear, I WAY prefer bluefin or even yellowtail, but we didn't catch any of those and I only get to go deep sea fishing once every couple of years. Just felt like the right thing to do to try and make the most out of it.

I see your photo is from a talwater. A few years ago I stopped at Nickajack tailwater just riding around. The people on the fishing pier weren't catching much until apparently schools of drum showed up, then it was almost continuous drum caught until I left, sometimes two or three at a time and larger ones at that. At least one generator was running.

We caught and cooked alot if bluefish on one beach visit. They werent great!

About the only fish I don't like to catch is salt water catfish, 🤬 even being as carful as I can be as a young fellar been finned to many times, I will cut the line letem keep the hook these days. I don't know if I am just a wimp or not but every 1 of them brought tears to my eyes. When I get to old to hunt I plan on doing a lot more fishing and hope to include a lot more saltwater time.

About the only fish I don't like to catch is salt water catfish, 🤬 even being as carful as I can be as a young fellar been finned to many times, I will cut the line letem keep the hook these days. I don't know if I am just a wimp or not but every 1 of them brought tears to my eyes. When I get to old to hunt I plan on doing a lot more fishing and hope to include a lot more saltwater time.
They can be hard on the hands. A good pair of needlenose pliars.

Nahh not heavy tackle at all. 10# test line and 7' 6 MH rod. Basically a middle of the road bass fishing setup...actually kind of light on the line but 10# is what the Precision Trolling charts are calibrated at so that's what I use.

Went this morning for a while and got nailed by a thunderstorm. Weather app showed nothing! I got to the lake and said "it looks dark over yonder and that looks like rain". Pulled the apps up and nadda...but I could see the rain coming from about 2 miles out. I sat it out and went afterwards...and I will give you one guess as to what I caught. Drum. Wife did catch a walleye but we have no idea where she hooked it....I did a LONG Trolling run and she only realized she had a fish when we reeled in to move spots...said she never felt it hit 😆

If I'm not mistaken redfish and drum are in the same family. Folks will pay $25 a pound for redfish and then turn their nose up at drum. To me, provided they come from clean water they're as tasty as any fish swimmin.
Freshwater drum and saltwater black drum are totally different creatures.

Saltwater black drum are closely related to redfish, and juvie black drum ('puppy drum') are delicious. The adults are slam full loaded with worms.

And the saltwater black drum make the freshwater drum look like babies. This was a small adult saltwater black drum... about 25lbs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240801_211249_Gallery.webp
    Screenshot_20240801_211249_Gallery.webp
    109.1 KB · Views: 1
I don't think I was ever finned by a saltwater cat (we called them sail cats), but good Lord...the friggin sticky slime on them was unreal.

Latest posts

Back