• Help Support TNDeer:

What's Wrong With Her?

Ski

She swallow some bees or is she half chipmunk?

1725934694657.webp

1725934711290.webp

Either one I'd assume will be potentially fatal? Or no?
Surprisingly, often not. Just watch her condition. She looks a little thin, but normal if she is nursing.

It's crazy what deer can live thru.

Remember this doe from early April? She is still running around and looks healthy as of 3 days ago

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902_105025_Messages.webp
    Screenshot_20240902_105025_Messages.webp
    68 KB · Views: 1
Either abscesses or "lumpy jaw," which is a jaw impaction caused by arterial worms.
Lumpy jaw likely could be treated with ivermectin or another dewormer. I mentioned in another thread in the general forum that there are blocks that have fenbendazole in them for cows, don't know though how game laws may apply in those parts of the state that are outside of cwd mineral and feeding restrictions.

Lumpy jaw likely could be treated with ivermectin or another dewormer. I mentioned in another thread in the general forum that there are blocks that have fenbendazole in them for cows, don't know though how game laws may apply in those parts of the state that are outside of cwd mineral and feeding restrictions.
I'd be a little concerned about putting out febendazole blocks for wildlife... many intestinal parasitic worms can develop resistance to febendazole with inadequate dosing. Next thing you know, you have febendazole resistant worms living in the dirt on your property which will make treating livestock infestations much harder. Regardless, I don't think febendazole has any activity on worms outside the intestinal tract, so prob wouldn't work against lumpy jaw.

Back when I raised show chickens, I would give them a full dose febendazole by weight, alternating with full dose albendazole 2 months later, to be certain I wouldn't develop any helminth resistance in my chicken runs. Hard to overdose either, so erred on the side of a little more than a too little. Direct administration with syringe down the throat. They also got dosed with ivermectin twice a year topically on the skin under the wing. All of that was prophylaxis, never had any trouble with worms or mites to my knowledge.

I'd be a little concerned about putting out febendazole blocks for wildlife... many intestinal parasitic worms can develop resistance to febendazole with inadequate dosing. Next thing you know, you have febendazole resistant worms living in the dirt on your property which will make treating livestock infestations much harder. Regardless, I don't think febendazole has any activity on worms outside the intestinal tract, so prob wouldn't work against lumpy jaw.

Back when I raised show chickens, I would give them a full dose febendazole by weight, alternating with full dose albendazole 2 months later, to be certain I wouldn't develop any helminth resistance in my chicken runs. Hard to overdose either, so erred on the side of a little more than a too little. Direct administration with syringe down the throat. They also got dosed with ivermectin twice a year topically on the skin under the wing. All of that was prophylaxis, never had any trouble with worms or mites to my knowledge.
I typically use ivermectin or long range injectable on cows, along with sustain boluses and la300. Of course I can put a cute in a headgate in the chute, can't give wild deer injections though. It was a thought, and I really doubt it would increase resistance any more than using fenbendazole in rotations with parasite control in sheep, cows, horses, and others that the block is listed for use with.

Latest posts

Back