• Help Support TNDeer:

Where to get tilapia

catman529

Looking way ahead I know, but I want to stock tilapia next spring for 2 reasons - to control moss algae and to catch some good eating fast growing fish. I figure it's too late this year to stock them and get eating size fish before it gets cold. So where do I buy them from?

Sent from the talk of tap

Re: Where to get tilapia

Is this in a private pond? Are there other predator fish already established? I stock tilapia in a few ponds every year. They are awesome for algae control. But be aware they are invasive and will take over if they have access to warm water (60degrees +). They will run bluegills off the nest and take over. I would recommend stocking them pretty heavy if there are bass in there. There kinda stupid and bass will gorge themselves on'em if you don't stock breeders. Even then, bass will wear out the fry. pm me if you got any questions. I may holdover a couple thousand in tanks this winter and I know a guy who can get several also.

Where to get tilapia

Yea it's private, little less than 1 acre and loaded with tons of bream, and I just stocked 80 fingerling catfish, 3 grass carp, and currently 1 adult largemouth and 1 large catfish. Going to put about 20 more bass in there this year and hopefully some more full size catfish to cut back on the bream population. When I moved here there was only bream in the pond.

Sounds like bass can get real big off of them?

There an excellent forage fish. Mainly because about the time bass are really feeding heavy to prepare for winter, the cool water temps cause the tilapia to become lethargic making them an easy meal for bass. Bass expend very little energy getting them. That's a good thing. But the way it sounds, they have plenty of bluegills to eat also.
My only concern, (other than putting an invasive in a place they could likely escape) was you wanting to eat a few. Be hard to get enough to offer angling opportunity with too many predators, but sounds like that should be covered as well. Just watch in the spring for water temps to get in the mid 60's, and no more frosty nights, and you should be good.
I have some in one pond right now that are pushing 3lbs.

Yeah I'd like a few to eat if I can catch them but not trying to start a fish farm. Also don't like the filament algae. And they couldn't escape to anywhere. Pond is fed by a spring coming off hillside and if it rains real hard the pond just overflows into grass.

I will find my guy at work and ask him where he buys his.
He orders them late in the year because they are alot cheaper.
However, he keeps them through the winter in heated stock tanks in his garage.

He spends ALOT of time and money on his lake. :)

Even has a tagging system for his bass.

RobbyW":11tmt9ah said:
Eu kidding could they hurt a bluegill population with them running bluegill off the bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! They will take over the nests.

In theory, If there are enough predator fish, can the tilapia be kept in check enough that they don't knock back the bluegills too much? The bream are mostly offspring of hybrid bluegills, with some straight bluegills and a few straight green sunfish too. There are a ridiculous number of them right now so they need some knocking back, but I don't want them to be killed off either.

RUGER":l1nf7o5u said:
Why do they take over their beds?
They still make a "nest" for courtship and brooding. Yes they are mouth browsers but the adult will stay in the nest while holding the brood in its mouth until it feels there big enough.

catman529":3gn7o3o0 said:
In theory, If there are enough predator fish, can the tilapia be kept in check enough that they don't knock back the bluegills too much? The bream are mostly offspring of hybrid bluegills, with some straight bluegills and a few straight green sunfish too. There are a ridiculous number of them right now so they need some knocking back, but I don't want them to be killed off either.

Unless your water never gets below 60 degrees, the TN winters will kill them out every year in small ponds. So you will have to stock them every year if you want tilapia every year. Tilapia will start nesting when water temp gets in low to mid 80's. Depending on how many breeders you have depends on how much your bluegills will suffer. Which in your case cat, it sounds like an off year might do some good. What you could do is put your tilapia in in the spring, let them get established, then put however many bass you need. The tilapia fry will give your newly introduced bass a good head start regardless of its spring or fall.

I'm trying to put bass in this year, and tilapia next spring. I guess I can keep an eye on the bream population and decide whether to stock tilapia in following seasons or not. I've got all fall and winter to figure it out though, this year I'm just fattening up bream and catfish during the summer on floating food, and then going to put in some bass as well.

Latest posts

Back