• Help Support TNDeer:

Which do you prefer

This

Attachments

• IMG_4663.webp
    IMG_4663.webp
    235.7 KB · Views: 1
I've got some Kuiu, and Sitka stuff. I really like both, but if I'm being totally honest. Outside of the more extreme weather outer layer stuff like jacket/bibs. It really feels like a pretty big waste of money. I've got socks, gloves, base layers, vests, face masks, and head coverings. Most of that stuff I almost never wear because there are just better cheaper items that are more comfortable.

Early season when it's hot, I just use a walmart special of thin cheap breathable clothing that blocks mosquitos.

On elk hunts in the rockies I love my kuiu down jacket/vest/outer shell/pants. They pack down super well, they have a lot of zips to open up and breathe while hiking long distances, and they're pretty versatile. Their gloves, socks, face masks, and base layers didn't do it for me though.
On a really cold windy day sitting in a deer stand late season. Love the sitka fanatic jacket and bibs.

Anything else I look towards hiking, active brands, or cheap basic items. Honestly, I have a wool sweater from Mens Warehouse I used to wear to work that gets more play than some of the absurdly priced wool sweat shirts I got from hunting brands. Thin little face coverings are great, but a regular scarf is infinitely warmer and more comfortable to me if I'm trying to stay warm.

First Lite Klamath is perfect for this. I wish they still made the hoodie, but you can still get the pullover without one.

Last edited:
First Lite Klamath is perfect for this. I wish they still made the hoodie, but you can still get the pullover without one.
Agreed…Klamath hoodie is awesome! Make sure you layer properly under the mid layer too. I wear the FL obsidian foundry pants for a mid layer with Klamath hoodie. Will add one of their layering vests and puffer pants if its chilly in the morning but going to warm up and same for when it cools down in the evenings.

From a system standpoint, I really like a merino base layer because it retains most of its warmth when wet, and the synthetic fleece midlayer draws moisture out of the merino.

The zip-off kiln thermal bottoms are one of my favorite pieces because you can take them off as it warms up in the morning without taking your boots off.

I'm still trying to figure out where they all live to get all these cold temps lol
Heard that. My wifes garndmother made me a trebark 1/4 zip fleece in 1994. This will be its 31st hunting season.

About 15 years ago sportman guide marked their brown camo pants, pullovers and vest down to 10.00 each. I bought 2 or each.

Huntworth is the brand

I've tried most everything for cold weather and settled on first lite merino wool base layers and outerwear is Sitka. Have middle layers from Sitka, Kuiu, and others. The key to buying them is wait for the sales. Lightweight stuff is whatever I can find the best deals on. Have a few pants and shirts from mossy oak's online store.

It may sound silly but the best way I have found to ck how well jackets and hoodies work is ride a 4 wheeler down the road on a cold morning, you can tell pretty quick which 1 will stop the cold from creeping in, I have been surprised at some of the hoodies being thin but blocking the wind, most of the decent ones say rain resistant, reckon that covers them if you get a little wet :D . that said I was given 3 set of coveralls and a pair of insulated jeans. 1 pair is orange camo and I might wear that on a public gun hunt for safety lol. Now I just need some below 20 temps to test them.

Latest posts

Back