• Help Support TNDeer:

Who need a high $ spider rig system

Big Ben

For under $18 in pipe and fittings from Rural King I built this two rod one for the 1448 Griz. Some 3/4 inch copper pipe and fittings. New Rod holders to replace the wore out ones are from BP at $16.99 a pair on order. Sure beats $125.00 + for a ready made one. You could easy turn this into a rig that holds as many rods as you want with some Tee's, couplings and elbows. Fit into the BP rod holder bracket with just a little drilling. Making a tall one for the front where I don't have to reach down to pick up a rod and a shorter one for the back seat fisherman.

I know I have the rod holder backwards....LOL. Notice that after taking the picture but it spins around easy enough.

Looking good.

I used a home made rig on an old bass tracker for years. I mounted a square tubing base on each side of the front of the boat and then had a u-shaped 1 inch square tubing frame that I could slip in and out when I didn't want to spider rig.i even used the cheap rod holders made out of 1/4 inch round you could buy for about $3-4. I cut wood blocks to go on the square tubing for the adjusting part. Also made one for the backend of the boat for when a partner would go. I could fish 7 poles spider rigging off the front end. Used it a lot back then.

I've got a homemade system for my boat too. It holds 8 poles total front and back for two fishermen. It works pretty well. I use 16 foot poles. The drawback is the adjustability that the expensive systems have. As the boat angle changes and you want to adjust the poles up down left and right. Even if you want some poles higher than others, you have some limits. They also take a lot of abuse with 4 16 footers in the wind. One problem I have is the bouncing in the front of the boat with any chop. The baits are moving up and down a foot or two with every wave. The only solution I can come up with is a heavier boat.

Attachments

• C06A9CEE-549B-430E-A855-4E0B841559D9.jpeg
    C06A9CEE-549B-430E-A855-4E0B841559D9.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,098
fairchaser":15fn4rxg said:
I've got a homemade system for my boat too. It holds 8 poles total front and back for two fishermen. It works pretty well. I use 16 foot poles. The drawback is the adjustability that the expensive systems have. As the boat angle changes and you want to adjust the poles up down left and right. Even if you want some poles higher than others, you have some limits. They also take a lot of abuse with 4 16 footers in the wind. One problem I have is the bouncing in the front of the boat with any chop. The baits are moving up and down a foot or two with every wave. The only solution I can come up with is a heavier boat.
I could see your point if I was fishing big water. My main lake just down the hill is narrow and long and wind and waves will never be a issue. I will be using 7 to 10 foot rods if I want to set up that way. Mainly I just fish for panfish and either drop a anchor or tie off to a fallen tree. Just trying to set up something where I don't have to bend down to pick up a rod while in the front seat.

Big Ben":16hwy2fb said:
fairchaser":16hwy2fb said:
I could see your point if I was fishing big water. My main lake just down the hill is narrow and long and wind and waves will never be a issue. I will be using 9 to 10 foot rods if I want to set up that way. Mainly I just fish for panfish and either drop a anchor or tie off to a fallen tree. Just trying to set up something where I don't have to bend down to pick up a rod while in the front seat.

Your right, everything gets more complicated on big water and changing conditions. I like your system. It should work fine for your situation.

fairchaser":2lwbcqxg said:
Heavier boat,or shorter pole,shorter pole usually does better in the chop

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

bluball":3cg65obr said:
fairchaser":3cg65obr said:

Great idea Bluball! I could go with 12 foot poles and I bet that would help a lot.

fairchaser":318dkgui said:
bluball":318dkgui said:
fairchaser":318dkgui said:

Great idea Bluball! I could go with 12 foot poles and I bet that would help a lot.
I use 14's usually,but if theres alot of chop i will be running my 10ft jig poles,i usually keep 6 10ft jig poles in the boat

Got the back one done today. Might be a tad to high but I can cut it off, just have to get it on the water and check. Was going in the morning but County Tourism outfit is holding bass tourney and the lake will be a madhouse, between the Pontoons and glitter boats running everyplace. Looks like next week before I test them out.

Back