• Help Support TNDeer:

WIND?

daduckman

On larger bodies of water how much does the wind have to blow(mph) to make you feel unsafe? I know depends on size of your boat but for example let's say a 16'-18' boat.

I think it would depend more on how big the waves are and that depends on which direction the wind is blowing and what part of the lake you're on. If the lake runs east-west and you have a strong west wind it could build up a lot more waves than a crosswind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything more than 10mph and I get pissed trying to handle the boat. I need another trolling motor for the back or a drift sock and just use the big motor.

Unsafe is 98% water conditions and that depends much more on depth of water, wind direction, current if any, and how far the wind blows across the water whipping up waves.

Ideal fishing is 2-6 mph. Ok is 8-10. Very uncomfortable is anything 10-15 and dangerous is 15-20 on large bodies of water when you have to travel across it in small to medium size boats. I watch the wind very closely while planning my trips.

MickThompson":298le8n7 said:
It can get downright nautical when the wind blows into the current on the big reservoirs too. N wind on Ky Lake can get nasty.

This !

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

i like light winds when i fish just enough to take the flatness off the surface. a N or S wind on KY lake from Jville to the dam and you can get in trouble quick with a 15-25mph wind. its worse in spring and summer when there is heavy barge traffic at jville. i was in Buchanon a couple of years ago and got caught in a small storm front on a waverunner and it about beat us to death until we got to Harmons creek. it wasnt too bad from there to Birdsong.

when the water temp is 40-50 degrees its even more risky to be on the lake when the winds are up. a friend of mine had an uncle and cousin that died at Jville. his uncle was wearing a life jacket and fell in. it put him in shock and gave him a heart attack. his cousin didnt have a life jacket on and jumped in to save him and he immediately had a seizure when he hit the water and sank. they had to drag the channel to find him.

TNRazorback":2feaziz6 said:
You ain't lived until you've run a 1448 in the Mississippi with a strong wind out of the south and heavy barge traffic.
dang I thought it was bad running a 1432 on 4 foot waves with a 5 horse Briggs motor lol

Try crossing a lake with a 5 horse on a 10' boat at 1AM under tornado conditions and torrential downpour with waves white capping over the sides of the boat and only a Coleman lantern for light. Talk about pucker factor. It took 2 days before I could finally get my boat cushion out of the cheeks of my arse, lol. Young and dumb!

RUGER":1jyssus0 said:
I hate wind.
I would rather fish in the rain than wind.

Yep. There have been fishing trips that ended up being lazy days because the wind was so bad we couldn't cast or control the boat.

Many of the absolute best days in the spring the wind almost can't be to much! I know of a couple patterns where up to about 30 mph the bass are so catchable you will think you have the proverbial "net in a bathtub"!

Latest posts

Back