• Help Support TNDeer:

Worst of days and best of day

Forvols

Sunday I went to South Holston river near the dam for some trout fishing. Started fishing about 7am. Left at 5:30pm, caught 1 10in rainbow at 4pm. I threw every thing but a casting net. Probably walked 5-7miles up and down that stretch of river, saw PLENTY of trout. I was using ultra light spinning gear. Didn't wade the river, though I probably should have had my waders with me. But there was no trout interest(for my lures anyway) on rooster tails, minnow imitators, trout magnets, bitsy tubes, curly tail grubs, panther martins, meal worms, salmon eggs--but finally caught the one on Berkley trout pink power bait. Missed another one on same bait, fish were starting to rise. I thought ok they are starting to feed maybe I can get a few more and go home. Then skies opened up and had to set in the truck for 45min of downpour and lightning. After the storm passed, no fishing rising, no bites, didn't even see trout cruising by my spot on the bank.

Worst day trout fishing for me in a long time

BEST DAY for me -- I was still on the river fishing, seeing some deer, talked to some friendly people, I enjoyed it just not much for the skillet.

We used to catch quite a few right below the weir dam on the rainbow power bait dough but it seems like they stopped stocking the good eating sized fish and started stocking the 6" fish. I haven't fished up there in 10 years tho

Learn to use a fly rod,I have throwed every thing but the truck at them but a fly flinger comes along and gets fish on every cast, Match the hatch is a phrase that comes to mind when trout fishing. still a better day than working :rotf:

Sorry you had a rough day. Not sure what line you were using but a 2lb fluorocarbon leader will help tremendously. I throw trout magnets a lot and it is pretty much a requirement when using those.

You almost might want to try it at night. I was there Saturday night with a few friends. It was a little slow but we still caught quite a few in the 16-22" range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have been pulling a lot of water lately. It is a tough place to fish in the super hot days, plus the place has been getting hammered .
Winter time is the best, November- January. The big girls come out to play then

Latest posts

Back