• Help Support TNDeer:

Worth my time and money or what

Big Ben

Buddy just gave me a 18 hp Evinrude Fastwin, electric and rope start. Been stored inside for several years. Don't look like it has been ran much, Paint not even wore off prop yet. Have not got it home yet and don't want to sink a lot of money in a motor that old. I hope with some minor parts it fires up and runs well. Looking at new points and condensor's, water pump impeller and possible new fuel pump to start with. I would like to keep repairs in the $200.00 range.

Any idea on year model? The 3 or 4 I have messed with in that category were fairly easy, typically just carb related issues that take some tuning and a water pump as long as your lines etc aren't dry rotted. If it was drained of fuel prior to storage you may not even have those issues.

I worked on an old Johnson seahorse and ended up spending more money than it was worth. Those parts are expensive! But mine had been submerged so maybe yours won't be as bad. I suggest pricing it out before you get too deep into it.

fairchaser":20jn515b said:
I worked on an old Johnson seahorse and ended up spending more money than it was worth. Those parts are expensive! But mine had been submerged so maybe yours won't be as bad. I suggest pricing it out before you get too deep into it.

I have 1969 Johnson 9 and 1/2 horse outboard. Fairchaser is correct. Parts are expensive, but it sounds like you got a gem. I bet you can get it running and come out ahead.

Those old motors tend to run forever and are fairly easy to work on. Hook up a new tank and gas line and fire her up with new plugs. You may be surprised that it'll run right off. Carb kits are very inexpensive and easy to do on your own. Then decarb it with seafoam. Had a 60's model 10 horse johnson that ran forever.

Good motors, same basic design on those motors from the late fifties to early seventies, very simple. Parts are available on the internet and not priced too bad. Much more at a dealer.

I just did a numbers check and it turns out to be a 1965 model. Man that's old....that's the year I graduated high school. Was not sure if he had a gas tank for it or not but searching we turned up two, one plastic and the original metal. For sure need new hose and bulb as they are hard as a rock but it's a start.

Latest posts

Back