Food Plots WTB / Rent Disc (Dickson / Nashville)

pk117ac23

WTB / Rent 3-Point Disc Attachment for Tractor

Looking for a relatively inexpensive rusty relic (4-6ft ish) that may be sitting under weeds and shrubs on the side of your barn so I can break up some weedy, grassy recently cut soil to food plot a small spot on our property. I'd love to rent one for a day for $50 or even buy one depending on the fit for maybe $200? I can pick up with truck & trailer. I don't know if my prices are way off, but I know my budget isn't peak. It will be used about 1-2x per year. I've asked neighbors and they are pretty finicky with their equipment and I don't blame them too much for it, but its getting pretty late to get organic corn and what not in the ground for bow season.

Here's the spot I need to turn and plant. If you have other ideas that may work, I'm all ears. Quite possible that I may no till seed and cover with a round bale of hay.

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8034.JPG
    IMG_8034.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 33

Bucket

If you do turn it, I'd do it early enough to come back and spray once all the seed you expose germinates prior to planting a fall plot. Personally I wouldn't turn it, but just let it grow until a week or two before you want to plant, burn it down with glyphosate, then plant and mow a couple weeks later prior to a good rain.

pk117ac23

appreciate the feedback. our place is 100% organic with no pesticide / herbicide, esp with gardens. Burning it down could work. Glyphosate is not our friend around here, and no judgement for anyone who does use it, but it ought to be used with extreme caution. I have many friends who are successful with your method, but that's just not an option for me.

deerhunter10

WTB / Rent 3-Point Disc Attachment for Tractor

Looking for a relatively inexpensive rusty relic (4-6ft ish) that may be sitting under weeds and shrubs on the side of your barn so I can break up some weedy, grassy recently cut soil to food plot a small spot on our property. I'd love to rent one for a day for $50 or even buy one depending on the fit for maybe $200? I can pick up with truck & trailer. I don't know if my prices are way off, but I know my budget isn't peak. It will be used about 1-2x per year. I've asked neighbors and they are pretty finicky with their equipment and I don't blame them too much for it, but its getting pretty late to get organic corn and what not in the ground for bow season.

Here's the spot I need to turn and plant. If you have other ideas that may work, I'm all ears. Quite possible that I may no till seed and cover with a round bale of hay.

thanks!
To buy that price would be tough. I don't know what rent will be. Most people unless you have good neighbors will be timid to rent out any equipment. I know our local co-ops rent out drills you can put corn out with. It is very late to put out corn in middle tn.

pk117ac23

To buy that price would be tough. I don't know what rent will be. Most people unless you have good neighbors will be timid to rent out any equipment. I know our local co-ops rent out drills you can put corn out with. It is very late to put out corn in middle tn.
I appreciate it. Our standard garden has corn already coming up from last month, but wanted to do something up in this area. may resort to covering the entire thing with old hay bales and in late July or August, plant some fall crops, brassicas, beans, root vegetables and what not.

Ski

Given the size of the plot I don't think a disc is the right tool. Even a subcompact tractor with disc on back is going to be around 18' long. That's going to be a whole lot of forward/reverse action. In my experience a disc really shines best when you can run a steady, fairly high speed. Tight spaces like that will really require lots of sharp turning and high chance of snagging trees that will inevitably be hard on the equipment.

If you have a walk behind rototiller or could rent one, I'd go that route. Or hire someone with a 3pt pto tiller to do it for you. The only other way I can think of is if you have a 4x4 ATV you might check out a Groundhog Max. It's a disc for an ATV that uses your own weight to push it into the ground. I've used one and can attest that they do work but they're hard on your ATV and it takes some time to get the soil worked up to a bare dirt, fluffy seedbed. I use mine for deep woods plots in steep terrain where there are no trails & I can't get my tractor into. I'd 1000% rather use my tractor but in small, remote, difficult terrain that little Groundhog Max is the ticket.

Latest posts