• Help Support TNDeer:

WTM

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I have the helix 7 and I went to a TWRA lake the other day and went over some bream beds that I KNOW were there.
I have fished them before AND I could see them with my naked eye.
Passed over them a few times and couldn't see them.
Went by some more and because I knew they were there I could kinda make them out on the screen but not well enough and not enough to show me they were there if I didn't already know it.

On KY lake I found some a couple weeks ago that were just as plain as plain can be and what I expected it to do when I bought the unit.
They even showed the white dots in some of the beds and we caught a few fish off them.

I guess my question is, if a body of water has primarily a dirt / mud bottom and lots of grass in the water, will that affect the unit's ability to show the beds clearly?

Should I be messing with the sensitivity or something to make them show up in "dirty" water?

yep water clarity, bottom type and grass especially affects side imaging. the depth of the beds also affect if they will even show up or not. hummingbird is prolly the best at real shall water and ive seen beds show up as shallow as 2ft with a high mount on the transom. id say the grass or shallow depth? obscured those beds. sometimes the 800khz freq can help seperate weeds/grass but i dont think that unit supports 800khz.

you might try to lower the sensitivity or gain and see if that helps and then adjust contrast and brightness to sharpen them up. if it works remember those settings for that type of situation, that way you can set it back when you are on KY lake. another thing to try is to lengthen or shorten the scan distance or do a left or right side scan.

no prob. here is kinda of an analogy on weeds and side imaging. say youre deer hunting at ground level in a switch grass field. you cant see anything. but if your in a 15 ft deer stand you may see deer bedding in that same field. same in a boat, to see beds in moderately thick grass the water needs to be a little deep, say 10 ft. if its hydria, coon tail, or milfoil you can forget about seeing anything.

Latest posts

Back