• Help Support TNDeer:

Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!!

bowtechgump said:
One thing is funny about the whole thing. I have friends with the TWRA and they say TVA is once again looking to build a dam in the Columbia area. It seems that with the growth in this region that Normandy is falling short and there are two options to alleviate the issue. The first is to up-size Normandy dam the latter is a dam in Columbia not along the "Duck" but maybe on a major creek tributary like Fountain. Who knows what may happen but one thing is a guaranteed the government will buy/take the land and waste the money and the farmland. Yanahli II!!!!????
hope they don't dam up that area. I love the fountain creek and duck river area down there and don't want to see it a lake. Would hate to see one of my old hunting spots under water. Maybe that's just selfish though... I like it the way it is.

bowtechgump said:
kdxdude said:
bowtechgump said:
pressfit said:
Did yanahli come about when tva was forced to shut down the dam because of the snail darter?
Yes, and that sucker is everywhere. My family is from Somerset, Ky and they don't have a bridge crossing the creeks feeding Land Cumberland unless it is for an interstate for that sucker!

I believe this is inaccurate. The Columbia Dam Project was shut down because of an endangered mussel, not the snail darter.
I agree they tell you it was because of a mussel now that is true. However when the dam project was first overturned it was because of a snail darter which was found a few years later to not be "endangered" at all. The quick fix was on then and the "mussel" was the official red herring to foot the bill.

it was tellico dam that was delayed by the snail darter.

I have been driving back and forth from Nashville to Huntsville for work. After noticing this stand of woods I did some research on it. Apparently this is the WMA you are discussing in this thread. It looks to be in a great area. How has the early bow season historically been? With the acreage this place boasts i would think you could find some secluded areas of the beaten trail that are holding big deer? Is it a possibility that it won't be huntable in 2014?

Just a little note, the lands that were accumulated for the the Columbia Dam / Yanahli WMA were all purchased and none were taken by imminent domain. There were some road projects that were related to the Dam / lake where some properties were acquired through imminent domain but not for the reservoir itself.

One of the comments in the Daily Herald article that jumps out at me was that the Maury County Parks wanted 350 acres and TWRA gave them 477 acres and will let them develop trails and such through an adjoining 700 acres. Looks like the neighbor has got his foot in the door!!!

Tree Ghost this WMA produces lots of deer and lots of turkeys with some nice trophy quality animals taken every year. I think that it ranked in or very near the top five WMA's for overall deer harvest and the only areas that were ahead of it have 10 times as much acreage or more. I believe that it ranks in the top 10 for turkeys also.

So where is this land being replaced at? Or was this land actually owned by the TWRA? Ive seen some different suggestions as to ownership.

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2 ... 5/70-5-101

(7) When lands owned by the agency are closed to hunting or fishing, the agency shall mitigate the closure by opening new lands to be used for the same purpose, within twelve (12) months of closure. The managed lands to be opened shall be at least equal to the acreage of lands closed by the agency and shall be located in the same grand division of the state in which the closed lands are located. The agency shall not be responsible for mitigation of land closures when lands not owned by the agency are removed from the agency's control or closed to hunting and fishing by the owning entity.

It's owned by twra, I know that for a fact because the maury county game warden told me.

What happens if they can't lease or purchase that kind of land on 12 months?

Rockhound said:
It's owned by twra, I know that for a fact because the maury county game warden told me.

What happens if they can't lease or purchase that kind of land on 12 months?
Nothing. We will all go buy our license for more and more money and less land next year and the next so on and so on till its all gone

smstone22 said:
So where is this land being replaced at? Or was this land actually owned by the TWRA? Ive seen some different suggestions as to ownership.

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2 ... 5/70-5-101

(7) When lands owned by the agency are closed to hunting or fishing, the agency shall mitigate the closure by opening new lands to be used for the same purpose, within twelve (12) months of closure. The managed lands to be opened shall be at least equal to the acreage of lands closed by the agency and shall be located in the same grand division of the state in which the closed lands are located. The agency shall not be responsible for mitigation of land closures when lands not owned by the agency are removed from the agency's control or closed to hunting and fishing by the owning entity.

Great question. I brought this up on the other thread, I just did not have the TCA handy.

Latest posts

Back