• Help Support TNDeer:

Yellow bass?

WTM

i never hear of them on the forum except maybe once a while back when RSimms' clients caught a bunch of them and i think TRIGGER tied into them last spring.

i usually catch a bunch here on the south side when searching for black crappie, and some nice ones too.

have you guys ever ate any? i like them as well as bluegill and crappie, they taste similar to bluegill.

Love'em.
I had some for dinner two days ago and will have some more Friday evening.
Fun fish for kids too.
It'll keep them from being bored on a fishing trip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Caught em on accident a few times over the years but never cooked one up. They're like the panfish of the white bass world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Caught quite a few last year on chick in the late summer and they fry up pretty well. Haven't caught any this year but really havnt been on the water the last several weeks.

Priest is full of them and they definitely are good eating. I agree they are mean little things kinda like the chihuahua of the water... Lol... I'll catch them on crankbaits that are 2/3 the size of them they can barely fit the whole hook in their mouth much less the body!

Always loved gettin in'em when we were close to a 3-4 man limit of white bass. No limit on yellows and sure filled out the cooler really nice!

WTM":3n7yyxb9 said:
yeah just watch out for the razor sharp gill plate and frog gigs for a top fin when you are filleting them.
Yep first one I ever caught cut me bad. Will never forget that.
Never caught one big enough to fillet.
Never thought about keeping one either.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Just got thru filleting one with couple good walleye and a big bluegill from Norris. Caught a hundred this year trolling for walleye. Few big enough though.

wobblegobble":nnkzlpy9 said:
The eat better than crappie imo, That's what I put in cornmeal jackets most of the time now!
https://youtu.be/5XqzOchaqtI

yeah those are the size i catch usually on south KY lake, better ones during the spawn. lol you notice how they raise those gills out when you grab a hold of them. i think the state and maybe the world record was caught around the areas i fish so maybe they grow a little bigger or have more food.

nice video by the way.

Dbllunger":3ic2f3r1 said:
Good eating little fish. I keep them when they are big enough to filet.
I went out with a friend if mine and his two kids, 8 and 10.
We went specifically for yellow bass to eat.

I brought up four 7' light action rods paired up with Shimano 1000 series Sedonas, filled with 8 lb Gliss braid line (made by Ardent) and tied on 3/8 oz Cotten Cordell hammered finish silver spoons. Walmart, 2 for $2.74 package.

You can cast these unbelievably far with that line (50 yds is easy).

We'd make the cast, let the spoon hit bottom (21 FOW) and just reel it back in. No need to impart any action. Just every once in a while, stop retrieve and let the spoon sink to the bottom again. And resume reeling.

We were fishing J Percy Priest lake near Nashville and were on a sandy point, not many snags.

Fighting these little fellas is fun on the long, light action rods. (Walmart, Micro Series, $19.00). The Gliss line (very pricey, $14.99 for 150 yds.) is only sold by Academy Sports and Outdoors around us but can be ordered online from various outlets.

We caught over a hundred, kept fifty of the bigger ones. Sam took 35, I kept 15, plenty enough for a meal for me, the wife and daughter.

My wife and I love the little filets we get off of them, deep fried with our own mix of flour, seasoning, and corn meal. She is lactose and dairy intolerant so no eggs or milk, we just use all dry ingredients.

I liken them to bluegills, not as mushy as crappie, and like bluegills, prolific!
It's no problem to go out and catch 100 a day. Keep the bigger ones and enjoy!

agelesssone":11jls9p1 said:
Dbllunger":11jls9p1 said:
Good eating little fish. I keep them when they are big enough to filet.
I went out with a friend if mine and his two kids, 8 and 10.
We went specifically for yellow bass to eat.

I brought up four 7' light action rods paired up with Shimano 1000 series Sedonas, filled with 8 lb Gliss braid line (made by Ardent) and tied on 3/8 oz Cotten Cordell hammered finish silver spoons. Walmart, 2 for $2.74 package.

You can cast these unbelievably far with that line (50 yds is easy).

We'd make the cast, let the spoon hit bottom (21 FOW) and just reel it back in. No need to impart any action. Just every once in a while, stop retrieve and let the spoon sink to the bottom again. And resume reeling.

We were fishing J Percy Priest lake near Nashville and were on a sandy point, not many snags.

Fighting these little fellas is fun on the long, light action rods. (Walmart, Micro Series, $19.00). The Gliss line (very pricey, $14.99 for 150 yds.) is only sold by Academy Sports and Outdoors around us but can be ordered online from various outlets.

We caught over a hundred, kept fifty of the bigger ones. Sam took 35, I kept 15, plenty enough for a meal for me, the wife and daughter.

My wife and I love the little filets we get off of them, deep fried with our own mix of flour, seasoning, and corn meal. She is lactose and dairy intolerant so no eggs or milk, we just use all dry ingredients.

I liken them to bluegills, not as mushy as crappie, and like bluegills, prolific!
It's no problem to go out and catch 100 a day. Keep the bigger ones and enjoy!

lol sounds like me except i use a 2500 series or pfleuger 25 or 30 series reels.

fyi i bought 6 spools of 8lb gliss at Gander mountain for 6 bucks a spool last weekend.

i use the 1/8oz and sometimes 1/4 oz kastmaster spoon(or knockoff) take the treble hook off add a 210 or siwash hook and thread on a 1 or 2 inch gulp minnow. thats my go to deep water bluegill setup but its killer on yellows too. saw it on in fisherman a fee years ago and been using it ever since.

agelesssone":3m7qeknq said:
I like the sound of that, never cared for the mushiness of crappie, bluegills are good.

Back