• Help Support TNDeer:

You know it’s cold when...

Used to trout fish in Missouri when I was in college. Fished a lot of days with snow on the ground. We always would just dip the eyes in the water and that would clean them out. Also used the Pam trick. It worked as well if we remembered to do it.
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG

Where you in the water or fishing from the rocks at the powerhouse? They've been running a lot of water lately...some days over 4,000 cfs. It's hard fishing it when it's anything above 2,800 cfs from the bank or wading. I have found if you go across the bridge and down the tracks around 3-4 hundred yards just about across from the boat ramp and go down the bank, you can actually wade out a little ways and the river current is not as bad there. The current actually crosses over and is stronger on the side the road/ramp is on. Even with 3000 cfs, you can tolerate it and it's just thigh high. When they aren't running water, that will be just dry rock and grass where I'm talking about. When they are running water, I have caught quite a few fish right there...including the grand slam on trout, and yellow perch and bass too.

Where you in the water or fishing from the rocks at the powerhouse? They've been running a lot of water lately...some days over 4,000 cfs. It's hard fishing it when it's anything above 2,800 cfs from the bank or wading. I have found if you go across the bridge and down the tracks around 3-4 hundred yards just about across from the boat ramp and go down the bank, you can actually wade out a little ways and the river current is not as bad there. The current actually crosses over and is stronger on the side the road/ramp is on. Even with 3000 cfs, you can tolerate it and it's just thigh high. When they aren't running water, that will be just dry rock and grass where I'm talking about. When they are running water, I have caught quite a few fish right there...including the grand slam on trout, and yellow perch and bass too.
Fishing from the rocks under the powerhouse bridge. First time I have attempted it and believe they were running 2 generators.

Are you fly fishing or lures?

I just bought myself a TFO fly rod for Christmas. I've not even taken it out of the tube it came in yet but gonna be out there learning. When I fish up there, it has always been with spinning rod/reel and lures. When it's not delayed harvest time, you can really wear em out with redworms and the soft plastic Berkley powerworms and mice tails. You can't use anything scented during delay harvest but I found that you can buy 3" steelhead worms on ebay that are unscented and look similar to the Berkley powerworms. They work pretty well. I like Magooster inline spinners too. They are made locally by a guy in Etowah, TN. Most of the local stores carry some of them. He uses a different blade and bearing system that makes it be able to spin the blade in and down current without having to give the rod several jerks to start the blade.

Latest posts

Back