• Help Support TNDeer:

Your ideas to fix the future of hunting!

I will tell you exactly what we can do to save our beloved sport.
Quit belly acning about this or that and go find some kid and take him shooting. THen skeet shooting. Then small game hunting. Then hunting deer or turkey.

If you want to save this sport, quit talking about it and get involved with kids.

If everyone would just take one or two per year, we would have MANY seeds planted.

Yep. Only way. Don't forget the Ladies either.

My boys nearly always ask if a friend can come to the range with us. Take them to get the hunters education class also, and then get a frame and do the certificate/stamp up right.

For all shooters and hunters, set a good example for nonhunters to see. Lobby local schools to get students involed in the shooting sports and allow hunter education back in the schools. Right now we are loosing the public opinion war.

102 said:
I will tell you exactly what we can do to save our beloved sport.
Quit belly acning about this or that and go find some kid and take him shooting. THen skeet shooting. Then small game hunting. Then hunting deer or turkey.

If you want to save this sport, quit talking about it and get involved with kids.

If everyone would just take one or two per year, we would have MANY seeds planted.

Add this to Bayou Buck's response and BSK's response to that and there would be some great change to the world of hunting... ;)

Is there a way to see what the license sales percentage decrease is versus the number of lifetime license each year?

I haven't hunted in TN, yet. But I can tell you one of the biggest issues in Wisconsin is finding a spot to hunt. So many friends have quit hunting after the farms they hunted got sold and became subdivisions and the public land became over crowded. And to jsut buy some property is a crazy amount of money. the land I had been hunting was 180 acres of hardwoods and cedar swamp that the owner was offered $500k+ for, which he turned down barely.

We've seen the farms get carved up into 1-5 arce lots for homes that leave them wooded, to get that "away from it all" feel, but refuse to allow hunters to take the deer. Then complain theres too many of them as they hit them in thier Mercedes driving home at night.

Redfred16 said:
I haven't hunted in TN, yet. But I can tell you one of the biggest issues in Wisconsin is finding a spot to hunt. So many friends have quit hunting after the farms they hunted got sold and became subdivisions and the public land became over crowded. And to jsut buy some property is a crazy amount of money. the land I had been hunting was 180 acres of hardwoods and cedar swamp that the owner was offered $500k+ for, which he turned down barely.

We've seen the farms get carved up into 1-5 arce lots for homes that leave them wooded, to get that "away from it all" feel, but refuse to allow hunters to take the deer. Then complain theres too many of them as they hit them in thier Mercedes driving home at night.

I might suggest that if there is a subdivision that needs a bit of managing, print up a flyer and walk around to each home, requesting the right to bow hunt in the area, to clear out some of the deer.... many of these subdivisions have rules and even commitees that you would have to get permission from. Might be worth the effort. Surely there are some wooded acres between yards where these deer congregate...might be a sweet deal.....

You can bill yourself as the deer terminator, more of a PEST controller than a deer hunter...heck you might can charge them for your service...lol.

worth trying....imo.

I will be honest, if not for a couple very good friends who are nice enough to allow myself and my son to hunt on their property I would have probably already quit hunting.

My son and I would be fishing and playing golf only.

I figure alot of people are like me. Through no doings of their own they lose their spots to hunt and can't afford to buy land specifically to hunt on.

How to combat that, I don't know.

Just feel very VERY lucky to still have a couple spots to go.

Bottom Hunter said:
Redfred16 said:

I might suggest that if there is a subdivision that needs a bit of managing, print up a flyer and walk around to each home, requesting the right to bow hunt in the area, to clear out some of the deer.... many of these subdivisions have rules and even commitees that you would have to get permission from. Might be worth the effort. Surely there are some wooded acres between yards where these deer congregate...might be a sweet deal.....

You can bill yourself as the deer terminator, more of a PEST controller than a deer hunter...heck you might can charge them for your service...lol.

worth trying....imo.

My self and friends have gone door to door, attended HOA meetings to try and enlighten them, but in the end its always been the same, "not in my back yard". We did see 1 subdivision hire out a sharpshooter to kill 10 deer of either sex out of season with permission from the DNR. What was odd is just 9 months earlier we asked to bow hunt the deer there. They thought it better to have a guy with a gun shoot them and then pay him.

It's just one of the growing problems here in Wisconsin. Like I said I'm not sure what it'll be like in TN or how I'll go about finding a spot to hunt yet. I'll figure it out when I get there, since It'll be late Sept till the move and that leaves no time to get it all worked out.

Redfred16 said:
I haven't hunted in TN, yet. But I can tell you one of the biggest issues in Wisconsin is finding a spot to hunt.

Although this is certainly a problem in TN, I think (depending on where you are wanting to hunt) you will be surprised by the low number of deer hunters in TN compared to WI. WI has around 600,000 deer hunters. TN only has around 200,000.

The biggest difference in TN compared to WI is the HUGE parcels of land in TN that are often leased up by just a few hunters. In parts of the state, a 1,000-acre parcel leased by only 4 or 5 hunters in not uncommon at all.

Another big difference is deer density. Most of TN doesn't have anywhere near the deer density much of WI has. In most of TN, as a hunter, you will really have to work to see deer regularly.

BSK said:
Redfred16 said:
I haven't hunted in TN, yet. But I can tell you one of the biggest issues in Wisconsin is finding a spot to hunt.

Although this is certainly a problem in TN, I think (depending on where you are wanting to hunt) you will be surprised by the low number of deer hunters in TN compared to WI. WI has around 600,000 deer hunters. TN only has around 200,000.

The biggest difference in TN compared to WI is the HUGE parcels of land in TN that are often leased up by just a few hunters. In parts of the state, a 1,000-acre parcel leased by only 4 or 5 hunters in not uncommon at all.

Another big difference is deer density. Most of TN doesn't have anywhere near the deer density much of WI has. In most of TN, as a hunter, you will really have to work to see deer regularly.

That will be alot different. Like I said in a different thread, last year opening bow season I had 50+ deer walk under me between the morning and evening set. I had free access to 180 acres that was shared by 6 bow hunters and 8 gun hunters. I wouldn't mind a big lease but if I had my option it would be 1 fairly local smaller farm. I don't consider it "work" to prepare for a deer season. I love walking the woods scouting, hanging and checking trail cams, hangng stands, ect. I've never done food plots since the land we hunted was surrounded by corn, soy beans and alfalfa fields, but wouldn't mind working on them either I wouldn't think.

I suppose its just the opposite with turkey hunters. Turkey hunting is just starting to catch on up here and it seems to have a large following down in the mid southern region. We can only take 1 bearded bird in the spring and 1 any bird in the fall. Got my first with a bow this past fall, very exciting.

Redfred16 said:
That will be alot different. Like I said in a different thread, last year opening bow season I had 50+ deer walk under me between the morning and evening set.

Don't expect that anywhere in TN. Now seeing a few deer per hunt is much easier in agricultural areas of TN, TN has a lot of hardwood forest. In those areas, even with a decent deer density, expect to NOT see deer on every hunt. In fact, in the forests of East TN, you can go quite a few hunts between deer sightings. Also don't expect to see large groups of deer at one time. A doe or two and this year's fawns (3-5 deer) traveling together is the norm.

I don't consider it "work" to prepare for a deer season. I love walking the woods scouting, hanging and checking trail cams, hangng stands, ect.

Again, it all depends on the habitat and terrain you will be hunting, but in hilly hardwoods of TN, a stand choice has to be very good to expect to see deer regularly. Now agricultural areas are a bit different, as visual distances are so much greater, but in our hilly wooded areas, don't expect to be able to see more than 50-60 yards. Even in good deer density areas, when you can only see 50-60 yards, you may see deer infrequently. In fact, instead of "deer seen per hunting hour," it can be more like "hunting hours per deer seen."

By the way, where are you moving to in TN?

My lineage is pure WI for several generations back (Waupun and Fond Du Lac area).

Redfred16 said:
Like I said in a different thread, last year opening bow season I had 50+ deer walk under me between the morning and evening set.
I looked up the temps for your area last year on Sep 17 (WI bow opener) and the low was 46 with a high of 70. The next day low was 55, high was 62. I'd pay good money for those temps on a regular basis during bow season here in SW TN. Another thing you that is going to take some getting used to is scouting/hunting in warmer temps compared to what you are accustomed to, especially early season. I have hunted several opening bow mornings over the last 19 years here in SW TN with temps 65-75 for the low at 7AM in the morning. I can tell you that a 46/70 day of archery here in my parts is a dream come true. We have mornings of bow hunting like this, but they are the exception to the rule and you better take full advantage of them if your schedule will permit. Last year bow opener in my neck of the woods was 55/80 (average for these dates)and second day was 60/86 (above average for these dates). Just something to be aware of.

Andy S. said:
Last year bow opener in my neck of the woods was 55/80 (average for these dates)and second day was 60/86 (above average for these dates). Just something to be aware of.

For a northerner, things to learn to hate about TN's early bow season:

Heat
Mosquitoes
Ticks
Chiggers

BSK said:
Redfred16 said:
That will be alot different. Like I said in a different thread, last year opening bow season I had 50+ deer walk under me between the morning and evening set.

Don't expect that anywhere in TN. Now seeing a few deer per hunt is much easier in agricultural areas of TN, TN has a lot of hardwood forest. In those areas, even with a decent deer density, expect to NOT see deer on every hunt. In fact, in the forests of East TN, you can go quite a few hunts between deer sightings. Also don't expect to see large groups of deer at one time. A doe or two and this year's fawns (3-5 deer) traveling together is the norm.

I don't consider it "work" to prepare for a deer season. I love walking the woods scouting, hanging and checking trail cams, hangng stands, ect.

Again, it all depends on the habitat and terrain you will be hunting, but in hilly hardwoods of TN, a stand choice has to be very good to expect to see deer regularly. Now agricultural areas are a bit different, as visual distances are so much greater, but in our hilly wooded areas, don't expect to be able to see more than 50-60 yards. Even in good deer density areas, when you can only see 50-60 yards, you may see deer infrequently. In fact, instead of "deer seen per hunting hour," it can be more like "hunting hours per deer seen."

By the way, where are you moving to in TN?

My lineage is pure WI for several generations back (Waupun and Fond Du Lac area).

I'll be living in the Nashville area(Hendersonville). I hunt up around Crivitz and Waupaca from time to time.

I've visited the area a few times in, my very best friend in the world lives there and he talked my wife into the move since I ruled out going back to Texas. It's very hilly and fairly wooded from what I saw. I suppose how I approach things will depend on what kind of land I find to hunt. I prefer bow hunting and until last year you couldn't bow hunt during gun season, so I do have a nice deer rifle.

I don't mind not seeing deer, it happens. If it was easy alot more people would do it. But I do want the chance to see deer, its all we can ask for. And there is something so special about sitting out in a tree as the sun comes up, seeing the woods come alive. I live for it.

My wife will not be happy to hear that most of my clothes will be way too warm for most of deer season now, LOL.

Andy S. said:
Redfred16 said:
Like I said in a different thread, last year opening bow season I had 50+ deer walk under me between the morning and evening set.
I looked up the temps for your area last year on Sep 17 (WI bow opener) and the low was 46 with a high of 70. The next day low was 55, high was 62. I'd pay good money for those temps on a regular basis during bow season here in SW TN. Another thing you that is going to take some getting used to is scouting/hunting in warmer temps compared to what you are accustomed to, especially early season. I have hunted several opening bow mornings over the last 19 years here in SW TN with temps 65-75 for the low at 7AM in the morning. I can tell you that a 46/70 day of archery here in my parts is a dream come true. We have mornings of bow hunting like this, but they are the exception to the rule and you better take full advantage of them if your schedule will permit. Last year bow opener in my neck of the woods was 55/80 (average for these dates)and second day was 60/86 (above average for these dates). Just something to be aware of.

The weather will one of the things I'll have to learn and adapt to. We'd love a front rolling in that pushed the temps in the low 40's high 30's, that seemed to really get the deer moving.

Last year was really warm for us, we only had a small amount of snow and that happened the night after opening day of gun season. It'll take some getting used to hunting in 70 degree days thats for sure.

BSK said:
Andy S. said:
Last year bow opener in my neck of the woods was 55/80 (average for these dates)and second day was 60/86 (above average for these dates). Just something to be aware of.

For a northerner, things to learn to hate about TN's early bow season:

Heat
Mosquitoes
Ticks
Chiggers

Heat or cold, I seem to be jumping from 1 end to the other, LOL. Born and raised in Wisconsin, spent 10 years active duty in the Army, spent 7 of that in 1 desert or another. I can't catch a break and find just normal weather, LOL.

Mosquitoes are a problem up here, just not all season. Till mid October, I just made sure my Thermacell was in the tree with me.

I really do hate ticks and chiggers though. I haven't had chiggers since trainging at Ft Polk. Ticks are up here but again more common early in the year and fade off as the weather turns cold.

All in all, I'm still excited about learning new things and just getting out in the woods. I've pretty heart broke about missing this fall. But nkow in the end the move is what we wanted and need.

We do have archery, skeet / trap, and Hunter's Education in the schools. Just not every school though.

National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) is a big thing in Tennessee. The state championships are held in Murfreesboro at the Miller Colessium (sp) every spring with ~300-400 kids competing.

There are also many schools with skeet / trap teams, public schools at that. Siegel High School in Murfreesboro has a very active team.

As for Hunter's Education in schools, it is one of the State Mandated standards of WIldlife Management in the Agriculture course of study. However, this is not a mandatory class. I wish that ONE Ag. class was mandatory just so that students would have a better understanding of things (thats another subject all in itself). As for making that class mandatory, I dont see it ever happening because of the commotion it would cause. I cant even take real firearms into my class for the class. I have a piece of wood with the parts written on it.

The best thing we can do, in my opinion, is get as many people out there as we can.

Glad to see another Wisconsinite in Nashville Redfred16!

Get ready to learn how to play terrain in your hunting efforts!

Heck, we would love some 70 degree days for bowhunting. Honestly, around the opener, low 90s is not uncommon. You'll be sweating through a t-shirt while sitting still.

90's will suck. But I suppose the deer are use to it. I suppose its really just alot of morning and evening movement? I can't imagine them moving much mid day with it being that hot or is that the old Wisconsin hunter thinking too much?

I am excited about living around Nashville, like I said we've visited a few times and loved it everytime. We'll be making the drive down 28 Sept. I told my friend to start looking for land for us to hunt, but I don't think he's trying too hard. I don't think his wife likes the idea of us moving down and them me stealing him for weekends at a time to run around the woods again, LOL.

Edit Note: Just look for the Badger red Nissan Titan with a US Cavalry sticker above airborne and air assault wings, along with my Bone Collector, Realtree AP, Bucky Badger and Packer "G" on the back window, that will be me.

Latest posts

Back