• Help Support TNDeer:

10mm & a Kodiak Bear

Unbelievable experience and outcome, thanks for sharing. I can't imagine the adrenaline and blood pressure readings during the last minute or so, before the bear collapsed. On a different note, I suspect the second rifle shot fired by the guide that hit the chest "helped" the situation and outcome more than the story leads one to belief. I'd like to know caliber of rifle as well.

"As they skinned the huge carcass out, they surmised that Ryan's rifle shot had struck it in the chest."

I got to fire my 10mm a couple times on Kodiak. Fortunately, it was to deter the big brown bears not defend myself. BB even fired his big rifle at a couple.

I just remember coming through the thick brush and hearing a bear explode out. Thankfully he flanked us instead of coming at us. I would have sworn he was 1,000lbd hearing and seeing him run through the brush like a bull dozer out of control. Nope, seen him later on the beach and he appeared to be a younger male.

I have zero desire to hunt one on that island, I'm hoping we have a mutual agreement to not eat each other.

Guy had some gonads to crawl thru the thicket TOWARDS the bear to get a shot. Have seen guys get too shook up having a bull elk up close that they couldn't pull bow back, let alone a giant pissed bear

For the longest time, I always thought that if I ever did a high $$$ hunt it would be for Kodiak brown bears. But, after dealing with them and seeing a real tank of a bear on our next to last day on Kodiak, I realized that they deserve to be at the top of the food chain. Now, I've got zero desire to hunt them.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Latest posts

Back