• Help Support TNDeer:

What is your worst rifle you ever owned?

Back to the regularly scheduled programming…..

I had my great grandfathers 740 30-06 for a time. Probably killed my biggest deer with it. But best I remember I had a time with it and the bolt wanting to seize up. Probably didn't help that it sat for years and years under a family member's bed. I don't know who has it now, but I hope they've oiled it good. I don't remember it shooting bad either, just jammed a lot when I first got it
The problem with the 740s, and to a lesser extent...the 742 and 7400... was something about the guide rail (think that is what you call it) in the receiver. The bolt would wear it away over time... rendering it more and more a jamomatic. There was something else...had to do with the rotating bolt head. Each later model had more grooves in it. From my understanding...the older 740s in 30/06, 270, etc, were the worst. The long action calibers would just beat themselves apart.

Probably import FNFAL. Don't judge all FNFAL by the cheap imports. They are NOT created equal. Got a real FNFAL later in life and it shot lights out.

The problem with the 740s, and to a lesser extent...the 742 and 7400... was something about the guide rail (think that is what you call it) in the receiver. The bolt would wear it away over time... rendering it more and more a jamomatic. There was something else...had to do with the rotating bolt head. Each later model had more grooves in it. From my understanding...the older 740s in 30/06, 270, etc, were the worst. The long action calibers would just beat themselves apart.
I had a buddy that go to was a 742 in 270. He swore on it. It was his only big game gun. It was ugly as F. Had some cheap inexpensive scope on it with questionable mounts on it. Every year we had the same discussion about upgrading gun upgrading loads. He shot off the shelf Remington core Loke. I sat next to him and every season without any adjustment he got 1.5 groups off the bench MOA consistently outnof that gun and killed a mess of deer out of it. Can't deny him that. He even bout some 10 round mags for it and showed me those worked and said that was his "assault rifle" I vould not argue with that either.

I had a buddy that go to was a 742 in 270. He swore on it. It was his only big game gun. It was ugly as F. Had some cheap inexpensive scope on it with questionable mounts on it. Every year we had the same discussion about upgrading gun upgrading loads. He shot off the shelf Remington core Loke. I sat next to him and every season without any adjustment he got 1.5 groups off the bench MOA consistently outnof that gun and killed a mess of deer out of it. Can't deny him that. He even bout some 10 round mags for it and showed me those worked and said that was his "assault rifle" I vould not argue with that
Mine hands down was a Mossberg 100ÀTR. It was a .30-06, and it actually shot really good. But, was pretty fragile. I broke 3 extractors in it. They would just snap and fall out. I ordered one from Mossberg in Eagle Pass, Tx. Put it in and shot it maybe twice and it broke. Then sent whole rifle back. They put in a complete bolt. As soon as it arrived back at the house, I put it up for sale. Never looked back. Bye bye.
I think as far as my worst non assault rifle owned it was probably my first rifle. And from that I was probably a pretty quick study and pretty quick learner.

I bought a used 30/30 marlin with steel buttstock off the shelf with a POS trashco scope and see thru mounts.

Everything about the gun and mounts were wrong. But it was cheap and all the money I had.

Took it out to the dirt pile. I hit the tree with one shot and said that will do and went hunting with nit because it kicked like a mule.

Missed 3 times with it. Blamed the gun and traded it for a Remington 700 ADL 30/06 . Fell in love with it right away. Stock design, soft recoil pad probably sleek design and better trigger had a lot to do with it so it was some 30 years later till I owned another lever action.

When the 6.5 Creedmoor first was publicized there was some misconception I noticed. Just because it can punch holes in paper at 1,000 yards some people thought it would punch holes in Deer adequately at 1,000 yards. Not the case at all. It may actually punch a hole in a deer at that range but it not likely to kill it.
Terminal velocity. 👍🏻

celebs GIF

Nuff said. 😏

I forgot about one I had a few years ago until I was going through my load book.

Diamondback AR10 in .308 Winchester.

I tried 5 different factory loads, 5 different powders and 4 different bullets. The best loads would keep 5 on a piece of notebook paper at 100yds. I took it back to the shop, they called diamondback and they send a new barrel and gas system that the shop installed. I never could get the 2nd barrel to keep 5 on a sheet of notebook paper at 100yds. To the shops credit they bought it back after test firing it.

I inherited my father's Remington 760 pump 30/06, either the first or second year of manufacture. It was beat up from use, so I had my gunsmith refinish and reblue it. He also welded the sling sling stud/slide cap back into place and replaced the dust cover (ejection port cover) that wouldn't stay in place. I suspect it's a losing battle because of inside receiver wear.

That thing won't stay in place and the bolt head falls apart. The whole rifle rattles like a box of rocks, and I know I'll never be able to trust it, even though it's super accurate.

The Winchester model 100 that I mentioned earlier is the same way with a host of other problems. I've spent more on them than both rifles are worth, but they just don't work.

Last edited:
SKS shot everything you fed it. 0 accuracy
Depends on what ur definition of accuracy is.

If your looking for surgical precision like a bolt gun is going to deliver is going to be then no!

If your going to deliver practical accuracy like what's expected of a urban suburban home defense rifle then "most" of the sks rifles have plenty if not more than enough practical accuracy to get the job done.

I heard someone once say the difference between a conventional AR and a Ak/SKS was the AR was like being a surgeon doing surgery with a scaple vs a surgeon doing a surgery with a hatchet.

Seems really extreme. And I don't necessarily agree with the exact qoute. But it seems in the wheel house. You can get the job done with both instruments. One might get it done a little cleaner than the other when you think about it really really hard.

I inherited a 742 in .30-06 from my wife's uncle. The guide rails are beat up pretty bad .

Last edited:
When my daughters were just old enough to think about deer hunting. I bought a H&R handi-rifle. It came with a .243 barrel and later on I bought a 30-06 and muzzleloader barrel. The muzzleloader barrel shot decent but the other two calibers were terrible. I guess it was the worst rifle I have ever owned.

Remington 788 in 222rem, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the doors closed.

When my daughters were just old enough to think about deer hunting. I bought a H&R handi-rifle. It came with a .243 barrel and later on I bought a 30-06 and muzzleloader barrel. The muzzleloader barrel shot decent but the other two calibers were terrible. I guess it was the worst rifle I have ever owned.
Did you bed the barrel?

Latest posts

Back