• Help Support TNDeer:

What is your worst rifle you ever owned?

I could have easily said my CVA Accura, I was shooting trusted loads 90gr 777 fffg powder, green knight sabots, 240gr XTP. This combo would hit a pie plate at 100yds but, literally spray bullets all over it from edge to edge. At the urging of some on here I tried harvester crush rib sabots and miraculously my groups went to about an inch at 100yds. So it's a not a piece of crap.

I'm not sure what your shoe comment means? I was simply replying to your post. You should read up on some of the things that make the Creedmoor popular.

You like to post anti creedmoor posts at every given chance. I've been around a bunch of people that shoot, none of them hold that belief on the Creedmoor case, even new shooters. No one I have ever been around believe you can shoot a deer at 1k with a Creedmoor. Are you actually around these people or are they imaginary?

People aren't buying those rounds because factory ammo options suck. If you're a reloader that doesn't matter but most people don't reload.

View attachment 241137
I really don't believe he was criticizing the Creedmore or the round. He was saying to many shooters think that it makes them 1000 yd experts just because the firearm is capable of it. You know, folks that shoot maybe half a dozen rounds per year.

I could have easily said my CVA Accura, I was shooting trusted loads 90gr 777 fffg powder, green knight sabots, 240gr XTP. This combo would hit a pie plate at 100yds but, literally spray bullets all over it from edge to edge. At the urging of some on here I tried harvester crush rib sabots and miraculously my groups went to about an inch at 100yds. So it's a not a piece of crap.
I agree. Muzzleloaders are a breed of their own. Everyone is different and likes a different bullet, powder charge, etc. With an ML you have to play with all these factors until you find its sweet spot.

I wouldn't say it was the worst but my goodness the heaviest! A Savage 308 with a bull barrel! I was talked into getting it and didn't take long for me to trade it off for a normal rifle.

I'm not sure what your shoe comment means? I was simply replying to your post. You should read up on some of the things that make the Creedmoor popular. You obviously think you are really smart so learning something should be easy for you, lol.

You like to post anti creedmoor posts at every given chance. I've been around a bunch of people that shoot, none of them hold that belief on the Creedmoor case, even new shooters. No one I have ever been around believe you can shoot a deer at 1k with a Creedmoor. Are you actually around these people or are they imaginary?

People aren't buying those rounds because factory ammo options suck. If you're a reloader that doesn't matter but most people don't reload.

View attachment 241137
The shoe comment.... 😂 Generally means...if you make an in general comment...and someone gets defensive (you, in this case) then that comment, whatever it was, applies to them.

As for the Karen pics you keep posting....is that you? You're the only one getting butt hurt over my not drinking the CM Kool aid... 😂

You and another member started this with the passive aggressive posts. I personally know for a fact, that at least one of you were using a 300wm just a yr or so ago.... because anything less wouldn't kill a deer dead enough. 😂 😂

You can keep arguing your point all you like...I'm not the only one that thinks as I do.
Read the post just above this one. There is a mystique out there that the CM makes anyone a distance shooter. My problem with the CM is purely with that "mystique", not with the actual round itself.

And no amount of name calling is going to change my mind.

Edit...the post is actually a few above this one now.

I really don't believe he was criticizing the Creedmore or the round. He was saying to many shooters think that it makes them 1000 yd experts just because the firearm is capable of it. You know, folks that shoot maybe half a dozen rounds per year.

And all I'm saying is I've never seen that. The stores I'm in it's the new guys getting .308's and anything magnum.

I went on an elk hunt, I took a 7mm08, the 3 guys I went with took magnums. They took magnums because any elk out to 1200yds was as good as dead. We shot at 400yds and one guy finally hit a 12" plate 1 time the other guy never did, both with 7 mags. Ol' 300Wby was lucky to hit earth. The cartridge is capable, the people aren't. Fill in any cartridge and give it to someone that can't shoot and it's the same story.

And all I'm saying is I've never seen that. The stores I'm in it's the new guys getting .308's and anything magnum.

I went on an elk hunt, I took a 7mm08, the 3 guys I went with took magnums. They took magnums because any elk out to 1200yds was as good as dead. We shot at 400yds and one guy finally hit a 12" plate 1 time the other guy never did, both with 7 mags. Ol' 300Wby was lucky to hit earth. The cartridge is capable, the people aren't. Fill in any cartridge and give it to someone that can't shoot and it's the same story.
It really is pretty dang amazing when you actually see people try to shoot past 200 yards😂 they say, my whooper dooper zing zanger will shoot 10,000 yards, but can you shoot it past 200 is the question😂

I think he's agreeing with what you say. Just because a firearm is capable of a 1000 yds, doesn't mean a newbie or soemone that doesn't shoot often, a 1000 yd shooter. The cartridge is capable and you are correct, the shooter is not.
We shoot CF & ML's throughout the year. have our own range. Have taken with a 30-06, an elk at approx. 400-450 yds, but I know the cartridge and the rifle and shoot consistently. With a .50 traditional ML, my farthest shot was an elk at 147 yds.

Remington 522 and 597

The 522 was plastic and metal conglomerate that had to be absolutely perfectly clean to function, it was a royal PITA to get apart, couldn't carry it over the shoulder because the mag stuck in your back, and it would only shoot cci mini mags.

Dumped it and got the 597. Worst mag design in the history of firearms, abysmal accuracy, hammer came apart resulting in full auto fire and slam fire.

And… The guy that said Model 7's is on crack 😆

The shoe comment.... 😂 Generally means...if you make an in general comment...and someone gets defensive (you, in this case) then that comment, whatever it was, applies to them.

As for the Karen pics you keep posting....is that you? You're the only one getting butt hurt over my not drinking the CM Kool aid... 😂

You and another member started this with the passive aggressive posts. I personally know for a fact, that at least one of you were using a 300wm just a yr or so ago.... because anything less wouldn't kill a deer dead enough. 😂 😂

You can keep arguing your point all you like...I'm not the only one that thinks as I do.
Read the post just above this one. There is a mystique out there that the CM makes anyone a distance shooter. My problem with the CM is purely with that "mystique", not with the actual round itself.

I did edit it, it was bad taste.

As far as being defensive, if getting a response makes you think that then I'm sorry. I'll tread lighter so as not to trigger you again.

I agree, you're not the only one that thinks that, your opinion isn't right and my opinion isn't right, that's why they're opinions.

The long range mystic is around a whole bunch of cartridges. Goes all the way back to the Minnie Ball.

No idea what the 300wm comment is about

Remi, my problem with the CM has nothing to do with the round itself....I've stated that numerous times. I think I finally got the wording correct with "mystique". The CM has it. Maybe not in your circles, but it's out there. That round didn't take off like it did for no reason....it was to make everyone a distance shooter....or at least make it possible. The problem is (for me) everyone of the 6.5s I listed can do the same thing...some even better...but yet that mystique isn't there. I blame Hornady marketing for that. Nothing personal towards you or anyone else.

At least in my area, the vast majority of deer will be taken at less than 100 yards, maybe 200 max. At that range....none of them are going to make a hill of beans difference with on game performance.

I would also argue (although not today), if a guy was to buy a decent rifle...say 30/06, and actually keep it and use it... practicing at various ranges, instead of chasing the latest and greatest.... In time he should be able to connect with whatever animal he wanted...at whatever range he needed, for the rest of his life.

Another example....closer to home for me.
I love knives. New super steels coming out every couple years. I can spend my life chasing the latest and greatest, but at the end of the day.... that 5.00 k-mart blue light special that was bought many years ago will get the job of gutting a deer done just fine.

Hope that made sense. Find something you like, learn to use it, and it will likely serve you well.

Another example (sorry)... Cell phones. How many people actually need the computing capabilities of the latest and greatest??

Howa in 30/06. Barrel closely resembled a drinking straw. Could not get to group better than 4 inches at 50 yards.

Sold it for a net profit of nearly $100.00

Hey now, don't be knocking my 308.... :)

Put 2 rounds in the same hole verifying my zero before deer season rolls around with mine a couple weeks ago, and called it good. And my new SFAR with new rings and new scope, all put together straight outta the box, was 1.5 inches high and right with the first shot. I'll take that any day over a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I know, there are plenty of folks that don't care for the recoil on anything bigger than a 223, but a rifle that shoots well is a blessing, whatever caliber it is in.

haha I know its a great round, Im just saying I was so jaded from that rifle It also jaded me on the caliber (obviously not fair to the caliber but it is what it is)

It really is pretty dang amazing when you actually see people try to shoot past 200 yards😂 they say, my whooper dooper zing zanger will shoot 10,000 yards, but can you shoot it past 200 is the question😂

Agreed

They told me they bought magnums so they could hold dead on out to 1000. They had no concept of what they're talking about.

One got to where he was ok at 300. The other 2 never did and both ended up selling their magnums, which was a great move for them.

Howa in 30/06. Barrel closely resembled a drinking straw. Could not get to group better than 4 inches at 50 yards.

Sold it for a net profit of nearly $100.00
Yes sir, a hin barrel on any fire arm is gonna give accuracy pure hell. That's the story of the Enfield .303. That barrel would heat up fast and then she would shoot wherever she wanted.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming…..

I had my great grandfathers 740 30-06 for a time. Probably killed my biggest deer with it. But best I remember I had a time with it and the bolt wanting to seize up. Probably didn't help that it sat for years and years under a family member's bed. I don't know who has it now, but I hope they've oiled it good. I don't remember it shooting bad either, just jammed a lot when I first got it

Back to the regularly scheduled programming…..

I had my great grandfathers 740 30-06 for a time. Probably killed my biggest deer with it. But best I remember I had a time with it and the bolt wanting to seize up. Probably didn't help that it sat for years and years under a family member's bed. I don't know who has it now, but I hope they've oiled it good. I don't remember it shooting bad either, just jammed a lot when I first got it
You just brought up another important aspect of firearms.....like anything else, if you maintain it, it will serve you well.

Latest posts

Back