• Help Support TNDeer:

2024 Live from the stand

rem270

I enjoy seeing people's views from the stand. I started it off last year but was surprised I didn't see one from the velvet hunt or from some of the KY hunters yesterday.

First sit of the year. Sitting in a little hardwood bottom. Acorns are falling like crazy. Temps are great for this time of year.
20240908_162303.webp

I enjoy seeing people's views from the stand. I started it off last year but was surprised I didn't see one from the velvet hunt or from some of the KY hunters yesterday.

First sit of the year. Sitting in a little hardwood bottom. Acorns are falling like crazy. Temps are great for this time of year.
View attachment 242213

Awesome. Over the years I've started to reduce my early season sits waiting for November, but there's something magical about September sits when the air cools at dusk and you hear something moving through the woods. Still gets the heart pumping. I'll be out there opening weekend.

Edmonson county KY. Blind Turtle box blind two feet off the ground. This is a saddle with tall hill in front and behind. Lots of deer traffic. Gravity feeder, mineral lick and cuddeback camera. Eleven does, six fawns and three bucks yesterday opening morning. Did not see any of my shooters.

Attachments

• IMG_8786.webp
    IMG_8786.webp
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8797.webp
    IMG_8797.webp
    203.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8787.webp
    IMG_8787.webp
    202.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8788.webp
    IMG_8788.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8796.webp
    IMG_8796.webp
    189.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8802.webp
    IMG_8802.webp
    184.3 KB · Views: 1
Edmonson county KY. Blind Turtle box blind two feet off the ground. This is a saddle with tall hill in front and behind. Lots of deer traffic. Gravity feeder, mineral lick and cuddeback camera. Eleven does, six fawns and three bucks yesterday opening morning. Did not see any of my shooters.
On those narrow openings, do you get many opportunities at shots? Do the deer often cross the opening before you get a chance to size it up and get a shot? Just curious as I've just set up 2 stands on long narrow openings.

On those narrow openings, do you get many opportunities at shots? Do the deer often cross the opening before you get a chance to size it up and get a shot? Just curious as I've just set up 2 stands on long narrow openings.
Yes I do get shots, and yes sometimes they just cross no chance. I do find they like to walk them and usually they stop and take a look up or down the lanes when crossing. Grunt to stop them to look at. Always carry binoculars to check antlers. A lot of my setups are like wagon wheel so stop them in the next shooting lane. I've been making some of my shooting lanes mowable (8' bush hog) so I don't have as much cutting and trimming to do every year. They grow plants deer eat like blackberries. Bush hog makes it easier for the old man.
Edit:
The picture of the sunlight and of the three hens is a mowed shooting lane trees cut 10' wide and bush hog 8' wide. Picture may make it not appear that way.

Last edited:
Yes I do get shots, and yes sometimes they just cross no chance. I do find they like to walk them and usually they stop and take a look up or down the lanes when crossing. Grunt to stop them to look at. Always carry binoculars to check antlers. A lot of my setups are like wagon wheel so stop them in the next shooting lane. I've been making some of my shooting lanes mowable (8' bush hog) so I don't have as much cutting and trimming to do every year. They grow plants deer eat like blackberries. Bush hog makes it easier for the old man.
Edit:
The picture of the sunlight and of the three hens is a mowed shooting lane trees cut 10' wide and bush hog 8' wide. Picture may make it not appear that way.
My opening is a recently cleared timber opening, so too many stumps for bushogging or even trying to plant. Might try some throw and grow.
Thanks for the info.

My opening is a recently cleared timber opening, so too many stumps for bushogging or even trying to plant. Might try some throw and grow.
Thanks for the info.
That was logged 7 years ago and burned last spring. I kept all my logging roads to use for travel, boundaries, firebreaks and turkeys like to walk them. I've made a bunch of more lanes just by clearing and cutting stumps flush with the ground for bush hog to go over. That was a 5' wide shooting lane that I just made wider and mowable. Good luck. Hope you kill a big one.

Latest posts

Back