• Help Support TNDeer:

Trouble with yamaha

XCR-2

I have a 2016 90hp 4 stroke on a tin express. About 75 hrs on the motor and never had any problems until the other day. When I trim it all the way down and come out of the hole it hesitates and alarms. If I trim it up to where it's basically level it does fine. Also runs fine after that. I changed the bulb and ran some stabilizer through it but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Does the alarm persist when it is in neutral? If so, it's water in the fuel filter. This is easy to check though... remove the cowling and unscrew the first fuel filter and dump it into a glass jar. Give it a second to separate and then inspect for water.

That said, to me this sounds like a low oil pressure alarm.

I didn't see water in the filter. It does alarm when I go back to neutral but not when I start it up in neutral. Then I just trim it up and take off without any issues

I didn't see water in the filter. It does alarm when I go back to neutral but not when I start it up in neutral. Then I just trim it up and take off without any issues
I could be wrong since it's been years since I've dealt with this… but I believe, the only audible alarm a Yamaha will give off in neutral is for water in the fuel.

Your fuel filter canister has a float switch in the bottom of it. Water collects in the bottom which triggers the float to sound the alarm you're hearing. If I remember correctly it is a beep, not a constant sound.

I've had this work the way it's intended and notify me of water in my fuel. I've also needed to replace something else that broke but I can't recall if it was the float itself or a sensor.

I have no idea why the trim makes a difference though. This was/is the reason I first thought of the oil pressure alarm.

I have a 2016 90hp 4 stroke on a tin express. About 75 hrs on the motor and never had any problems until the other day. When I trim it all the way down and come out of the hole it hesitates and alarms. If I trim it up to where it's basically level it does fine. Also runs fine after that. I changed the bulb and ran some stabilizer through it but that didn't help. Any ideas?
75 hours?
Still under warranty?
Do you have the water separator between the gas tank and engine?

Are you in East Tn?
This guy is worth a 1 hour drive up the interstate to fix this problem. Tell him Phil sent you. SCN drove from Nashville and was pleased as well. He diagnosed a complicated problem with my buddy down here in Beaufort that the Yamaha technician couldn't. He only works on Yamahas

1726662898608.webp

Another possibility... degredation of the fuel line or debris in the priming bulb restricting flow at idle speeds, but when fuel demand by the engine goes up, the stopper ball in the bulb gets displaced allowing adequate fuel.

how about the idle jet in the carb?

Latest posts

Back