• Help Support TNDeer:

Any other 1 pinners out there…

I shot 3 pins forever. They would at times run together being so close. I shoot a Matthews dxt. I went to 1 pin a few years back and haven't missed since I started. I shoot out to 40 yards but it does drop hard after that distance.

I moved to a one pin slider about 10-11 years ago because my eyes didn't like the clutter of horizontal pins. This year I switched to a UV Slider with 3 horizontal pins. I was a bit leery at how I would do with horizontal pins but one thing I noticed is my left/rights tightened up tremendously. My up/down remained unchanged and fine.

There is only 3 instead of 5 pins and I have them spaced out at 20, 35 & 50 so it's not clutterish and obviously I can move the sight for anything in between. I like to shoot TAC stuff so I need to dial it out to 120.

I can't do just one non moveable pin or fixed pins that don't move. I have no depth perception so pin gapping or aiming one pin 3" high or low has no concept to me. You could tell me we were 5' or 5 yds away from each other and I'd just believe you. LOL! I can NOT drive without glasses because I may stop 50' behind you or 5". I haven't ever hit anyone but I scare the crap outta my wife.

Been shooting and hunting with 1 pin for longer than I remember. Old school Mathews Switchback bow. With that said, I am definitely a close encounter archery/bow hunter, with 35 yards being max distance I have ever shot a whitetail. I love the simplicity of the 1 pin. YMMV
i agree. if he is further than 35 yards, he won and will walk on

I shoot a 3-pin slider, set at 20-30-40 yards and I use the slider to practice out further. My personally set limit on a deer is 30 yards. Beyond that, they get a walk as I just don't feel comfortable for myself to make a good shot

I am curious though, how many of you shooting 1-pin sights leave it set at a fixed difference and adjust your aim accordingly versus how many of you move the pin to the exact yardage? Big difference in technique between these two.

I shoot a 3-pin slider, set at 20-30-40 yards and I use the slider to practice out further. My personally set limit on a deer is 30 yards. Beyond that, they get a walk as I just don't feel comfortable for myself to make a good shot

I am curious though, how many of you shooting 1-pin sights leave it set at a fixed difference and adjust your aim accordingly versus how many of you move the pin to the exact yardage? Big difference in technique between these two.
When i shot one pin it was set at 25 and just held lower or higher for minute of deer out to 40 yards

When i shot one pin it was set at 25 and just held lower or higher for minute of deer out to 40 yards
I asked that because I see the whole 3D world having a great influence on a lot of hunters who are using 1-pin sliders to hunt but they seemed to be so focused on dialing in the exact distance. I've found that within 20-30 yards I'm afraid to move that much, hence the reason I use the 3-pin although I often wind up "shooting the gap" of the 20-30 pins.

Latest posts

Back