• Help Support TNDeer:

3 months until a duodecennial….

Well, updates?
AT keeps texting me pics of camp, so I assume they're all sitting around, drinking beer, and waiting on me to show up. There's a fire ban, so I'm sure what the stove pipe is for.

IMG_6442.webp

Little recap from the past few days while we dry out in camp.

Saturday, day 3
Glassed from a mountain top down into some good timber with a healthy dose of mixed meadows. Right off the bat I could hear bulls screaming.
IMG_6426.webp

I'm torn, do I dive off in there or stay up high and try to pattern them. At least a couple groups in there, plus I promised my daughter I'd go watch one of her soccer tournament games. If I dive down I'll never make it to the game. Just as I was contemplating my decision my phone vibrates, "wow, can't believe I got service here". It's my wife, car trouble on way to tournament…looks like I'm not going down in the valley😕

Sunday, I go with a buddy to the high country in another unit to look for deer. It's thick with grizz so I told him id go since his other partner couldn't make it. Leave the house at 3:30, drop his ATV off at the base of the mountain and take his sxs to the top. Easy peasy hike down hill…sorta. Parked the wheeler at 9300' and drove up to 9800'.
9 miles later we make it back down. 2 small bucks and no other deer were spotted. A harsh reality of that winter kill.
However, we did get into some elk. Of course it wasn't my unit but we had a heard of them in on us with at least two bulls. My buddy told me elk are silent in this unit because of the grizz, he was right we didnt hear a peep from them.

It was beautiful country. My buddy told me it wasn't unusual to see hundreds of deer up there. Sad state of affairs for one of the greatest mule deer herds in the lower 48.
IMG_6437.webp

Monday, day 4.
Finished setting base camp up. See BBs pic.
OldFussnFeathers and I did all the dirty work for the two old guys. Reckon that's how life is.
That evening we head to a spot I had heard one bugle and seen 3 younger bulls. Someone was parked where I wanted to go down so we backed out and moved down a mile.
Hiked down a ridge, wind was terrible. Just a constant shift of East n West. So we found a solid game trail with fresh sign and set up. Did. Some locator calling with no luck, possibly heard one far off that was on a small piece of private.
So we decided to hurry back to the truck and get to a glassing point to make a plan for the next morning. Someone was there when we finally arrived after dark. They hadn't made it back to the truck yet so we got out to listen…wind was howling 40+mph so we couldn't hear a thing.
Back to camp we headed to drink all the beer we bought for the old guys.

Climbing back up to the truck. Full moon Eve and she was bright!
IMG_6443.webp

Tuesday 4:30am, day 5.

Copious amounts of cheap coffee and a warm fire is not the best morning motivator to go climb a mountain, but it's definitely nice!

We go to the mountain I had glassed the elk up Saturday morning.
OldFussnFeathers had mention a nice place to park and go in that looked good to him. Since someone was already parked on the bottom (approximately 3miles down) and we had seen someone coming down the top, we decided that his idea was the best.

We head out with the sun breaking the horizon. We get .25 miles in and hear some dogs barking and a guy yell "shut the he!! up" really, someone is camping in the middle of elk country. We continue on.
Maybe .5 mile into the hike we get to a good ridge to listen. We hear a bull screaming!!!! We make a plan and move quick. We get to where we wanna be and wait, he screams again. This time we are directly below him and he sounds close. He is screaming, grunting and chuckling. He would start a bugle out with a grunt/chuckle then go into a deep gnarly scream and finish it with a two note grunt. I gave him some soft cow n calf calls at first. We knew where he was so I didn't want to bugle right off the bat.

We sorta played this game for a few minutes but it didn't sound like he was moving. So I said "next time he bugles in his own I'm throwing back a challenge bugle". Soon after I said that he bugled and I did my best to cut him off with a challenge, it must have worked because his next bugle was much closer and headed our way.

I throw out a few more cow/calf calls then we look up on the edge of the meadow and see elk! Then he bugles again, even closer. They are coming our way!!!!

Then we hear a pickup coming. I'm thinking, no freaking way. Yep, up on the ridge within a 100 yards of us, at 7am, someone comes driving down the two track. Elk are gone, we hear them crashing through the timber. Look up the ridge and see them crossing, those suckers can cover some ground.

It's frustrating but it's public land hunting. You can beat yourself up or move on. So, we crapped talked the moron and moved on.

We get a little more in and hear another bugle where we assumed the elk went. Then another one below him. By this point we are in the middle of two bulls screaming at each other. The wind was not great for the lower bull so we played it as safe as possible. We cow callled a little and had them fired up. Then the lower bull went silent. The upper bull was vocal for a while but slowed down a bit, so I decided to bugle at him. He responded but wasn't moving, so we decided to move a little more because the lower bull was either gone or had gone silent.
We get to the edge of the draw and hear a branch break, we look at each other. "Must have been nothing" then we take a few more steps and hear it again…I look the direction and immediately I say "bull, bull".
He was a beautiful dark antler animal with slightly white ivory tips. I guess he couldn't wait anymore for me to call so he decided to circle my last location down wind.
I couldn't get a solid range on him. The best range I could get was a tree at 50 yards, he was at least another 20 past that. I had about 10 more yards before he caught my cross wind. OldFussnFeathers watched it all and seen him start throwing that nose up and flaring his nostrils. He hit that wind, turned and slowly moved down hill.

No shot opportunity but that was another awesome encounter. The whole time this was happening the other bull was still being vocal. Unfortunately, the wind and rain was starting to pick up. We waffled back n forth on what to do. We ended up trying to move in on him but the hole he was in aspen thick with rock bluffs on the side. It was 9am and his screams were slowing, just like every other morning they all seem to go to bed at 9am.
We decided to back out and try to get on him this afternoon.

Of course we get 1/2 way back and the skies part. Of course it slows down, we just left elk to go back to camp.
We turn around and see this beautiful rainbow but we are quickly reminded what storm is behind it.
IMG_6447.webp

So, now we sit at camp. Fire is about dead and midday coffee almost finished. Wind is whipping, national weather service says to expect 60mph winds, we have already hammered the tent stakes back in, so that prediction was accurate. Guess we will hop in the pickup and drive to the spot, even through the rain is picking back up as I type.
It's either hunt or drink bourbon, the bourbon will be here when we get back.

Evening day 5,

Wind, 70+ mph gust of it to be specific. The only positive is it dried up some of these gumbo roads.

Pretty sure we heard the bull we left this morning close to the same location. He is plan A tomorrow. Supposed to be windy again but maybe the early am hours will give us a break.

Got back to camp early and was greeted with some light snow in the 9,000' elevation.

IMG_6456.webp

Awesome updates!

Sometimes.it just better to drink bourbon or even tequila than try to hunt elk in squirrely winds. At least that's what I always told myself on the yugoty days at 3pm after 3 drinks.

Good news, on thise yugoty days with bourbon, you go to sleep at 8pm, so the 3am wakeup is much easier after a deep night's sleep!

Back at camp now after a rather long morning. Probably burnt 6 miles today, OldFussnFeathers is acclimated so we about to burn some boot leather!
Started slow then we found them. Had 3 spikes come in to 60 yards, they better be glad it wasn't the last day!

Wednesday, day 6.

Wind, more wind and a lot more wind. It was 40mph winds all day. The morning was a complete bust, the wind was that bad. Came back to camp to make sure our stuff hadn't blown away and contemplated day drinking.

Instead, we went and pulled the el cheapo cameras I hung several days ago. Glad we did, I'll tell that story later.
Before we headed out we had pronghorn steak and eggs 😎
I already scarfed down 1/2 before I took a pic to send to the other two, gotta make em jealous so they'll hurry up and get here.
IMG_6458.webp

Got 3 bull moose, or is it meese, on camera.

Spindly guy here.
DSCF0687.webp

Real good one here.
DSCF0698.webp

Never seen a forky moose before

DSCF0503.webp

And never seen a forky moose try and fight a big moose 😱
DSCF0583.webp

DSCF0556.webp

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back