• Help Support TNDeer:

3 months until a duodecennial….

I'm bored with my current program. I think from now until the hunt, I'm just going to put as many miles in with my boots and pack on as possible. I should be able to get in 2 respectable hikes during the week and a long hike on the weekends. That should be good enough to keep me going for the hunt. On days I don't hike, I'll just keep doing 15,000+ steps.

Screenshot_20240821_151142_Connect.webp
20240821_121606.webp

This is supposed to be getting easier. It's not. I don't know if it's the air quality, humidity, or what. Today absolutely sucked. I'm going to get in one last week of hikes with a big one (10+ miles) next weekend. After that, I'll be stripping down my backpack and sanitizing it. It smells horrible and I'll be using it as a carry-on for my flight out.

Screenshot_20240902_104140_Connect.webp

20240902_074510.webp

Here's my story. I'm cheap. If WY gives me a fishing license with my elk tag, I'm going to fish, at some point. So, I decided to fly up to NY and practice my trout fishing on the West Branch in Deposit. On the flight up, the guy who sat behind me and my buddy coughed the whole time. At one point, my buddy stood up to get a look at him. He sat back down and said "you'd better get a look yourself". I stood up and turned around, like I was stretching. Sitting behind us was 2 middle aged dudes, much like myself, wearing masks. Their eyes were sunk way back into their heads and they were hacking and coughing the whole trip. One of them even looked up at me with that "Help" expression on his face. I sat back down and mouthed the words "we're f'ed", he agreed. Needless to say, I've spent the last 10 days sprawled out on the couch in the screened porch. Whoever said this current version of covid is nothing but a bad cold, obviously has colds that are a lot worst than when I get them. It was worse than my first batch of covid. But, It's over and coffee tastes good again.

Here's a bad ass picture of me fishing in the morning fog.
Shouldn't you have a fish on to be "bad ass"?

J/k 😂 that's a badass pic!!

of dreaming comes true.

@Buzzard Breath and I decided this year was the year to try and make an elk hunt come true. After close to 4 months of anxiously awaiting draw results we got the good news, tag drawn!

The purpose of this thread is to hold myself accountable, plain and simple. Feel free to follow along, offer tips or just stir the top like any good Tndeer member would.

I've always tried to stay in decent shape, just makes doing life easier. Having long and short term goals makes the fitness journey easier and a little more fun. Well, in 3 months a decade of dreaming is coming true. Chasing September elk in the Rocky Mountains! This is a goal that is worth being in the best possible shape as I can. Mentally and physically, as I could argue that both are equally weighted.

My initial goals are rather simple and straightforward. (1) Build my functional strength, endurance and mental fortitude. (2) Consistently shooting some arrows and throwing in some wrenches to simulate field conditions. (3) kill an elk😃

I'll be showing up to this thread to update my progress. It will be all about fitness, nutrition, scouting and just the normal things that happen while planning a hunt in advance.

Hopefully Buzzard Breath will throw his two pennies worth in. @tellico4x4 will provide the behind the scenes wisdom on actually killing elk, he has already shared his secret to keeping people out of his beer cooler, so I'm sure we will uncover some other secrets to a life full of elk killing.
Where abouts are you hunting? We hunt the Greenhorn Wilderness every year. If we're lucky enough to get an Antelope tag, then we hunt the Eastern plains.
Good luck to you gents.

You are doing something that is #1 on my personal bucket list.
I'll never be able to do an archery hunt, just getting too old & not able to climb as easily as I used to.
I will do a rifle hunt at some point over the next few years though.
Good luck, and keep this thread updated as you go thru the adventure. :cool:
You're never too old my friend. I'm 76, heading out with 2 of my sons on 9/13. It's tough sometimes, but always fun. Besides, I'd rather die in the field, than in a hospital 🤣

Here's what I've got to work with.

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 166.8, first thing this am

Age and height aren't changing prior to the hunt. I'm fine with the weight, but tend to be around 162-164 when I'm at my peak. So, I expect it to drop a few pounds.

I'm not on any sort of restricted diet. I eat lots of vegetables, some fruits, mostly lean meats, and a lot of whole grains and beans. It can always be cleaned up a little, but I'm going to get through this weekend before I even think about it. there will be many hotdogs and hamburgers consumed; one may be a BBQ, but that's pretty much the same thing. I don't like sweets, never have, so that won't be an issue. I have blood work done every 9 months and the results are good, I feel good, look good, and consider how I eat to be healthy (enough). No reason to change what's working.

I just finished a running program, so I've got a fresh slate to work with. I normally strength train twice a week, and do cardio 3 times. I may replace a cardio with an extra strength day and start doing a hike on weekends. That'll be some form of planned activity 6 days a week. That shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, I already average 14,216 steps a day. Strength training is not heavy weights and a lot of time in the gym. It's kettlebells in the garage. I'll come up with a plan and post it after the weekend.
Why you're just a young man BB. You'll do fine. What usually gets folks sometimes is altitude acclimation.
I'm 76
5" 11"
160 bs.
1 kidney missing
Open heart surgery in '92
Actually pretty healthy for my age....do a lot of walking around the property....Good luck on a big and tasty one👍

Well, it's September!
I've paused my gym membership last week, been rucking with 46lbs and doing kettle bell stuff. I knew once I stopped lifting weights my body wouldn't like it, I've dropped 4 lbs. It's amazing how much lifting weights revs your metabolism up, it's also unfortunate how quickly one looses muscle mass.
Ive also been shooting 50 plus yards, 30 yards feels like a chip shot now.

Enough of the prep crap, it's almost go time!
I've been out twice at first light and once at last light. Mainly just to listen and glass to mark off spots on the map. No sightings yet but next week it's go time for me. I'll start hitting it hard.

Went out this morning to listen, pull cameras, put out my new ones and set up base camp. Before I get to the exciting camera pics, let me share SE base camp part uno. Tucked in some trees and off the paved road about a mile. Few nights of firewood already laying around that will easily be gathered.

IMG_6379.webp

Once "the crew" starts arriving we got something special to set up, something to give it that mountain feel. Stay tuned for that.

Speaking of the crew, they will never trust me to pick out a camping spot again. For one, I've got a trail cam surprise that isn't for the faint of heart and two….I discovered a huge fire ant hill right after I snapped the above picture!😱

IMG_6378.webp

Everything here is either trying to eat you, bite you or sting you. Sunday I went to a spot to glass, on my way back to the truck where I had camp set up I stumbled upon a big prairie rattler.
IMG_6353.webp

Seen plenty rattlers out there before but don't recall ever seeing fire ants. Sure you didn't transplant from TN?

Umm, where's the creek?

Well, it's September!
I've paused my gym membership last week, been rucking with 46lbs and doing kettle bell stuff. I knew once I stopped lifting weights my body wouldn't like it, I've dropped 4 lbs. It's amazing how much lifting weights revs your metabolism up, it's also unfortunate how quickly one looses muscle mass.
Ive also been shooting 50 plus yards, 30 yards feels like a chip shot now.

Enough of the prep crap, it's almost go time!
I've been out twice at first light and once at last light. Mainly just to listen and glass to mark off spots on the map. No sightings yet but next week it's go time for me. I'll start hitting it hard.

Went out this morning to listen, pull cameras, put out my new ones and set up base camp. Before I get to the exciting camera pics, let me share SE base camp part uno. Tucked in some trees and off the paved road about a mile. Few nights of firewood already laying around that will easily be gathered.

View attachment 241957

Once "the crew" starts arriving we got something special to set up, something to give it that mountain feel. Stay tuned for that.

Speaking of the crew, they will never trust me to pick out a camping spot again. For one, I've got a trail cam surprise that isn't for the faint of heart and two….I discovered a huge fire ant hill right after I snapped the above picture!😱

View attachment 241958

Everything here is either trying to eat you, bite you or sting you. Sunday I went to a spot to glass, on my way back to the truck where I had camp set up I stumbled upon a big prairie rattler.
View attachment 241960
I saw one in Wyoming that was green from rubbing on sage perhaps?? it blended in perfectly in the sage and thank God it rattled!

Seen plenty rattlers out there before but don't recall ever seeing fire ants. Sure you didn't transplant from TN?

Umm, where's the creek?
After we kill a couple giant bulls we can just place the skull on the hill and let them clean it for us😎

Unfortunately, the creek and "pole" is down a ways a bit. Gonna have to hop in the buggies and drive for our nightly entertainment. 🤫

After BB and I came up with a plan for base camp uno I decided to put some el cheapo cans out closer to camp, if you consider 2 miles close to camp.
First spot was a deep ravine with some old rubs, second spot was a solid trail in a creek bottom with year round water and the third was basically the same as the first but not quite as much of a pinch point. Basically I surrounded the entrance and exit of the North side of the creek bottom.
I chose cheap cams because 1.) afraid someone might steal them 2.) that's all I had at the time😃

I think I got pics of every large game species in the unit with the exception of pronghorn. I even got a pic of our competitors.

Pic of bobcat in spot 1
WGI_0018.webp

The 2 legged competitor
WGI_0076.webp

I was actually surprised to see another hunter in this spot. Probably has hunted here before if I had to guess, also surprised he didn't see my cam, even though the card n batteries are the only thing worth a dang.

After BB and I came up with a plan for base camp uno I decided to put some el cheapo cans out closer to camp, if you consider 2 miles close to camp.
First spot was a deep ravine with some old rubs, second spot was a solid trail in a creek bottom with year round water and the third was basically the same as the first but not quite as much of a pinch point. Basically I surrounded the entrance and exit of the North side of the creek bottom.
I chose cheap cams because 1.) afraid someone might steal them 2.) that's all I had at the time😃

I think I got pics of every large game species in the unit with the exception of pronghorn. I even got a pic of our competitors.

Pic of bobcat in spot 1
View attachment 242081

The 2 legged competitor
View attachment 242082

I was actually surprised to see another hunter in this spot. Probably has hunted here before if I had to guess, also surprised he didn't see my cam, even though the card n batteries are the only thing worth a dang.
Hope that big boy has a hefty stand.....

Latest posts

Back